Charles Fischer

Cristobal: The Impact of Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question: What did you learn from your coaches from how they conducted themselves at this time of year?

CRISTOBAL: "Sure, I mean Coach Johnson was – but also Coach Erickson– he was awesome, great teacher and mentor. I think it's different because we’re in a conference. It's almost like our talent disparity on the team, I was fortunate to play on, really, really talented – those are all Hall of Famers– I'm not but they were, my teammates were, and man I just – the games weren’t paired with conference games where you had these challenges week in and week out but it was really focusing the team on that one game, I don’t – I think every coach that I’ve played for or worked for has always emphasized the same stuff and a lot of it we get from that.

Just being 1-0. That's the way to handle it is to just be real man, there’s no other – there’s no faking it. There’s no-nonsense, it’s being very real and truthful and honest with your team, working hard with them and putting in more time than they are so that they know that they know you are putting in that time so that they value you as much as you value them and love them up when they need to be loved up and bring it as hard as you can when you know that they need to be forced to be a little bit tougher and little bit stronger and a little bit more callus and as an organization we have that relationship and I think that’s what Coach Johnson had with us as players and he could push us, he could push us to the limit and all we could do is come back and ask for more because we knew it was the right way – it was the way to a 1-0."

image.jpeg

Mr. FishDuck

Interesting in that both coaches were not play in a phone booth guys. Both were extremely innovative. Not sure where Mario picked up his preference for attacking the A gap?

JJ was there for Mario's frosh year and then it was Dennis E, who migrated to The U from WAZZU. Spot on as to both being in the HOF.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

t was Dennis E, who migrated to The U from WAZZU.

And Erickson was also the Coach of Oregon States most successful season in history. 11-1, 2000.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I don’t – I think every coach that I’ve played for or worked for has always emphasized the same stuff and a lot of it we get from that.

Now he needs to install that killer instinct mentality the Hurricanes were known for.

That's a missing piece.  

Oh yeah, I don't remember those Miami teams showing off after every play.  And I certainly don't see it much from the elite teams there days.  

Good victory last night.  Wish these guys were ruthless though.  No need for all the drama reach game.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:35 AM, Mike West said:

Now he needs to install that killer instinct mentality the Hurricanes were known for.

That's a missing piece.  

Oh yeah, I don't remember those Miami teams showing off after every play.  And I certainly don't see it much from the elite teams there days.  

Good victory last night.  Wish these guys were ruthless though.  No need for all the drama reach game.

This Saturday at Utah is a just win baby game. Ducks come through in SLC, hope that OR ST beats ASU, big comeback by the Herm's to win at UW,  and smack a Beavs team that is not good on the road.

ESPN's buddy Cincy lurks as does a 1L Domers team. Base on the W at Ohio State I think a 1L Oregon trumps a 1L OK ST/Baylor B12 champ?

On 11/14/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

This Saturday at Utah is a just win baby game. Ducks come through in SLC, hope that OR ST beats ASU, big comeback by the Herm's to win at UW,  and smack a Beavs team that is not good on the road.

ESPN's buddy Cincy lurks as does a 1L Domers team. Base on the W at Ohio State I think a 1L Oregon trumps a 1L OK ST/Baylor B12 champ?

The question really is:

Can any of those teams beat tOSU in the Horseshoe like the Ducks did?  

I think Oklahoma State can ( exclusively).

But they didn't put the Buckeyes on their schedule.  Will that count in favor of the Ducks? 

On 11/14/2021 at 9:08 AM, Mike West said:

This Saturday at Utah is a just win baby

tOSU REALLY put a stamp on their entrance exam to the playoffs. 

Oklahoma State has a very good defense.  They're probably going to redeem their loss empathically.

Style points matter the rest of the year.  Win big,  or go home.

I don't think close scores are going to do the trick.