Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
30Duck

Why did Mycah Pittman Leave Now?

On 11/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Confused said:

More will follow. 

It won't be an AB led offense next season,  It certainly won't be an "Air Raid" but Thompson or Butterfield are better suited for a more vertical offense than this season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Confused said:

He’s a receiver and we don’t need receivers with our offense.  I don’t blame him.  More will follow. 

I get the angst when you feel there was a bait and switch. Many fans are just now adjusting to the new Oregon offense. I just have a hard time seeing a kid leave when he is an important part of the team, the season is in crunch time, you become a distraction, and then walk away from it all.

Just like with slick, I get being interested in the FSU job. It was how he left. I also give a student athlete more understanding with the decision he made, best of luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Gee, I don't know much about football, but I've been "thinkin'":  Why not teach AB (1) how to pass accurately over distance and (2) how to read his receivers? In other words, what in hell are the QBs doing in practice?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, C J said:

The exodus of top receiver talent will begin in earnest come late January.

I have the same fear, but also hold out hope that they see that AB is gone and there should be much more passing with TT under center.   Again, fingers crossed.   We can't just run our way to a natty.

Edited by DuckFan93

Pittman wants a path to the NFL. The AB to MP connection just never materialized. MP wants to be “the guy”, but he isn’t. Not so sure the coaches, or players were going out of their way to “disrespect” him.

I guess disrespect in his case means that the ball isn’t thrown to him. He is a solid punt return guy, but we have had better. 

I will also say, maybe the last item, but I can't guarantee it, we haven't produced NFL talent at wide receiver in the recent past. The receivers have to know they will be trying to pave a new path, create something that isn't, hasn't been there. 

If they thought they were just getting in an NFL wideout pipeline, they didn't do their research. Maybe the Tight Ends have seen Ducks playing TE in the NFL, not receivers.  It is possible, but it will take a lot of work, and the schools where that is happening, it is a tough go for playing time.

My take is the other receivers see the talent behind AB and are willing to wait, most likely. The other scenario is they don't see the talent and we do see an exodus. I think the first scenario is what happens, stay tuned! 

Oregon players are graded on Sundays after games.  Players also meet with coaches to address expectations to meet standards during the next week.

Could the disrespect tweet Sunday night have anything to do with his Sunday grades or standards discussion?

• Thumbs Up 4

The Dye for this season has been cast and the winning script is focusing on a three headed monster running game that, at this point, features AB, Dye, and Cardwell. AB has, frankly, been spectacular running the ball, and has gotten noticeably better in the last 3 games. Too bad if you are a WR this year... so far.

My concern is that AB doesn't seem to have a natural sense of self preservation in his rock 'em, sock 'em running scheme. He never slides and he rarely tries to get out of bounds before taking a hit. He's a big, strong, athletic guy, but he is running on 2 surgically repaired knees. How long can he continue to take the punishment he is taking without getting hurt? 

I'm certainly holding my breath every time I see him take off while I reflect on what happened during the Dennis Dixon season when he got hurt. Has anyone else been reading about the Utah linebackers? They are scary dudes.

Should AB get hurt, then what? Suddenly talented, experienced WR are solid gold. Clearly, JoMo will be rethinking the whole offensive scheme on the fly with quarterbacks who haven't had quality game reps. In the meantime, I certainly hope coaches are in ABs ear regarding avoiding big hits if and when possible.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:35 PM, Duck1984 said:

Oregon players are graded on Sundays after games.  Players also meet with coaches to address expectations to meet standards during the next week.

Could the disrespect tweet Sunday night have anything to do with his Sunday grades or standards discussion?

Good one, wouldn't doubt it. The job of a great receiver isn't all glory and some just don't want to put in the work, or hear about the work needed.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, Confused said:

And Mario has the most boring offense I have ever seen at Oregon.

I can only assume you never sat in the stands for Rich Brooks or Mike Bellotti  games?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, DurangoJim said:

I can only assume you never sat in the stands for Rich Brooks or Mike Bellotti  games?

@DurangoJimthe Brooks offense during my time in the early 80’s was run for little to no gain, incomplete pass or screen for little to no gain, quarterback draw stopped for loss, then punt.  Repeat until defensive takeaway, then downfield pass for score or long gain and field goal.

I suffered through many games with little to no defensive takeaways.  The Toilet Bowl of ‘83 was the worst even with lots of takeaways as few passes were caught and all field goal attempts missed.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 2:33 PM, Confused said:

They are looking for NFL career.  They don’t care about beating Utah.  I’m referring to 4 and 5 star athletes.  It’s about $$$.   Would you stay at Oregon and get 1 pass every other game?   Not if your wanting to showcase for NFL

Confused may be confused a lot, but he is 100 percent right about this.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, DUCKED said:

Confused may be confused a lot, but he is 100 percent right about this.

That may be true but we’ll see if MP stacks up for $$$ if and when a good team that throws picks him up and then, if then he makes the plays. I wish him well, either our O wasn’t the fit for him, or he isn’t that good. Maybe a bit of both.  But he left pouting, and I don’t respect pouters. 

In any case I’m done with commenting on him. He’s not a Duck. 

• Thanks 1

I wish him well, and hope he finds a great landing spot.

That said, I can’t think of a player that received more hype, and overreacted to more of his own plays, while contributing so little.

Next man up.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, DurangoJim said:

Try Dick Enright and Don Read, Jerry Frei's teams were actually fun to watch.

If Keith Jackson was covering the game on ABC, I was never bored. LOL

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, nw777b said:

If Keith Jackson was covering the game on ABC

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, 30Duck said:

This is what the 5 stars at Alabama, Oh. St. UGA. deal with season after season, Sometimes the 5's don't get on the field or touch the ball like they were used to in high school. They adjust, understand where they are and what the team is trying to accomplish.

What troubles me about MP’s move is the shortsighted nature of it. New WRs not only have to make the team, they have to develop chemistry with a QB — their evolution is unique among players. That’s why his move doesn’t make sense. Assuming he wants to land at a D1 program, he must reestablish both those relationships. For me, that’s sad because I saw his body type and skill set stepping into the position next year vacated by JJ and JR.

We’ve a way to go yet to reach that built-in cultural understanding that seems to exist at other long time elite programs that you stay with it no matter what.  But, it’s situations just like this that move us towards that goal.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 11:22 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

908100027_ScreenShot11-19-21at12_59AM.PNG.9907df32d529430225d800f953346bfb.PNG

See Ya Goodbye GIF by P!NK

Good post 81DuckAlum. I had completely forgotten about this 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that took place in the Washington game. My guess is that it resulted in Pittman getting his ass chewed and suffering some other consequences that, added to all of his other frustrations, was the last straw for Pittman.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, latracey said:

Good post 81DuckAlum. I had completely forgotten about this 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that took place in the Washington game. My guess is that it resulted in Pittman getting his ass chewed and suffering some other consequences that, added to all of his other frustrations, was the last straw for Pittman.

and... that wasn't the first dumb penalty he had this year. He had a penalty against Cal (or Arizona but pretty sure Cal) for blocking a defender in the back that resulted in the drive stalling out badly when the drive would have otherwise resulted in points. I am sure there have been some other penalties that have been costly this year from Pittman as I feel his name has come up a few times. 

Hutson had his bad unsportsmanlike penalty against Arizona and then turned around and has been all the better for learning that lesson. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I have been thanking people above who say they are done talking about it. Me too. He was our punt returner for 'sake, and was starting every game at the inside receiver, in line to be the same for next year. 

It had to be something else. Don't know? Don't care! Better he's gone. Enuf said. Go DUCKS Focus Next man up. Just win 1 and 0 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Don't know? Don't care! 

Exactly. 

f62c9436-9952-43a6-bc1b-27e9d01610b7_text.gif

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I think his post being "disrespected" had the most to do with it. When MC heard of that it was over, as should be.

agreed. you just don’t air your dirty laundry on twitter like that. MC had no choice but to discipline MP.