Haywarduck

Not Worried About The Oregon Football Program!

The Oregon Football Program has proven to be extremely resilient. We lost a most sought after coach, Chip Kelly, and  stumbled, but rose back up. Mario Cristobal has shown us how to recruit, which is actually being done over multiple programs at the University of Oregon Athletic Department. I don't think the ability to recruit would be limited to some Cristobal magic.

When you think about how the Oregon Football Program's foundation was destroyed by Chip leaving, and then Helfrich gutting it, we have done quite well. Much like Florida who after losing Spurrier, and Meyer struggled. 

Florida is now, again, looking for the quick fix. The problem is Cristobal is as close to Mullen in a hire as anyone probably could be. I hope Cristobal sees this and understands he needs to sharpen his game, at a supportive program, before he makes a leap to the killing fields of Florida or another elite program with aspirations of a savior magically winning it all, quick.

I am in complete support of Cristobal cutting his teeth at Oregon. He is learning, not bumping up against a ceiling, and has the opportunity to do something special while here. The question I have is Mario going to make the same mistake so many coaches have done, take the elite program job before he is ready.

Our program will move onward and forward, as long as the program isn't gutted again by the next guy.  This isn't a given, but good coaches become much better at Oregon. I actually think we could find a reasonable replacement, and continue our rise. I hope that is done with Cristobal, but I am more worried about Mario leaving, for Mario's sake.

I mean is Mario going to leave so he can go to more fertile grounds to recruit better? Is that really what is holding him back from winning it all, or winning all the games he should? He needs to become a more skillful coach, Oregon is the best place to do that. It's going to be him or the next guy who really sees that opportunity. I hope it is Mario.

• Thumbs Up 5

Valid points, but you fail to factor in the family connection. That may trump everything you have mentioned. He grew up in Florida, played at Miami, mom lives there, brother is a Miami policeman. That, plus the money, may be the tipping point.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:35 AM, DUCKED said:

Valid points, but you fail to factor in the family connection. That may trump everything you have mentioned. He grew up in Florida, played at Miami, mom lives there, brother is a Miami policeman. That, plus the money, may be the tipping point.

I am actually just making the case where if he wants that great, we will be fine. I love Mario, but if he wants to be the next Mullens, more power to him.

He isn't Saban, or Meyer, and he needs a job like Oregon to become more like them. My take is Florida would eat him up. If he values family closeness and more money, then good bye,  and good luck.

I will say I don't think it will be the money, but maybe I am wrong, 'what is that honey, I know.'

On 11/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am actually just making the case where if he wants that great, we will be fine. I love Mario, but if he wants to be the next Mullens, more power to him.

He isn't Saban, or Meyer, and he needs a job like Oregon to become more like them. My take is Florida would eat him up. If he values family closeness and more money, then good bye,  and good luck.

I will say I don't think it will be the money, but maybe I am wrong, 'what is that honey, I know.'

I think you are right. The Ducks will be fine if Mario leaves. They will attract an excellent coach, perhaps someone even better at “coaching” than Cristobal, but will the new guy have the recruiting chops? I think Mario in a class by himself as a recruiter.

Edited by Steven A
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, DUCKED said:

I think you are right. The Ducks will be fine if Mario leaves. They will attract an excellent coach, perhaps someone even better at “coaching” than Cristobal, but will the new guy have the recruiting chops? I think Marion in a class by himself as a recruiter.

I am not certain and don't want us to go through this again, so soon. I do think we are more resilient than many programs, but still susceptible to a slick hire, or a Helfrich promotion, both done under our AD.

If there’s one thing I hope our program has added to the ‘don’t do’ list of head coach hiring practices, it is to never again assume that the preference of a departing head coach will provide the same magic associated with him, and automatically lead to those results.

As much as we all liked Mark’s personality and wit, Chip’s stamp of approval was not driven by what was best for the program’s longevity, but by his ego. In that light, Mark inevitably became Chip’s “mini me”.

What Mario will do is anyone’s guess, but my sense of the guy is a grounded, results-driven person.  If going home is important to him, it will happen because he’s earned it and has the best chance at staying there on his own terms. 

Geesh the cars still running and people are trying to shove the driver out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not worried about the program but I am concerned about decision making. Play calling has been a little better until the Utah game destroyed that improvement. I was encouraged with our line play on both sides of the ball until the Utah game. AB seemed to improve a little till the Utah game. They players seemed to be playing hard till the Utah game. Thank god we are not playing Utah tomorrow. 

Lets see see how we feel tomorrow about 4:30pm.

I think the Ducks will win the game and maybe we will get to see what we all want to see. A team ready to play at the opening whistle till the final horn.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Like 2