Jon Joseph

THE COMMISH ARE AGAIN TALKING PLAYOFF EXPANSION - WHAT THE FIELD WOULD BE TODAY

They're back at it again. The 10 P5/G5 Commissioners and the ND AD are in good old Grapevine discussing the expansion of the Playoff (PO) field. What is expected: 5 P5 champs in. At least 1 G5 team in. 6 at large (AL) teams in. 

Using these parameters and the PO Committee's penultimate rankings we would have;

No. 1. Georgia - SEC vs No. 9 Baylor AL at No. 8 Ole Miss AL

No. 2. Michigan - B1G vs No. 10 Oregon Pac-12 at No. 7 Ohio State AL

No. 3 Alabama AL vs 11. Michigan State AL at No. 6 Notre Dame AL

No. 4 Cincinnati - AAC/G5  vs. No. Pitt ACC at No.5 Oklahoma State B12

Of course, there could be no home games played? Every game would be played in a bowl. And 1st round re-matches would perhaps, be changed in favor of a different match up? 

Great stuff Jon...and someday Oregon...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think those coveted top four spots should be exclusive to conference champions.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think those coveted top four spots should be exclusive to conference champions.

I believe the SEC wouldn't go for that.  they always have 2 teams in the top 4 playoff committees rankings

On 12/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe the SEC wouldn't go for that.  they always have 2 teams in the top 4 playoff committees rankings

Correct. I think the SEC will go for 12 with all P5 champs in but no preferential seeding for P5 conference champs? 

On 12/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think those coveted top four spots should be exclusive to conference champions

Definitely. So far Alabama has made it without winning the SEC, Ohio St. made it w/o even winning its division, and the Penn St. that beat Ohio State, won their Division, and the Conference didn't go, but the Committee says it follows protocols.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:55 PM, 30Duck said:

Definitely. So far Alabama has made it without winning the SEC, Ohio St. made it w/o even winning its division, and the Penn St. that beat Ohio State, won their Division, and the Conference didn't go, but the Committee says it follows protocols.

PSU had 2Ls. 1 a bad loss at Michigan. But Bama takes a close L vs UGA and I bet we see the first 2L team in the playoff?

On 12/1/2021 at 6:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

PSU had 2Ls. 1 a bad loss at Michigan.

Yes they did, but winning the conference needs to be THE Thing to get in the Playoff, and with 'Bama & OH ST., whatever Committee it is, has said, "Who Cares!, Come on, Tide, Buckeyes!" The Committee doesn't care that they're shameless.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, 30Duck said:

Yes they did, but winning the conference needs to be THE Thing to get in the Playoff, and with 'Bama & OH ST., whatever Committee it is, has said, "Who Cares!, Come on, Tide, Buckeyes!" The Committee doesn't care that they're shameless.

I  agree. That PSU team played a great shoot out RB game vs the Trojans. Ohio State was embarrassed by Clemson in the semi-final.