CalBear95

Did Oregon end up with the wrong Saban disciple?

Watching Georgia vs Alabama and the Bulldogs look very much like a team that isn't taking an "L" any time soon (ETA: Alabama just scored a TD but still...). 

Kirby Smart made a difference almost immediately after his hiring.  The fact he has his team back in the NC mix after a bit of a lull confirms he is the real deal (and very willing to make changes rather than follow some dogmatic scheme)

Tucker looks pretty good but his sample size is a bit small to tag him as reasonably having major upside ($9MM/yr is clearly a 2-3 forward looking valuation?  Less clear).

Kiffin resurrected his career and is doing well.  Always an innovator (even Saban credits him for helping him adjust his own approach at Alabama).

Between all of the above and MC...?

On 12/4/2021 at 1:56 PM, CalBear95 said:

(and very willing to make changes rather than follow some dogmatic scheme)

The operative phrase here.

MC was introduced to his vision by another coach.  That is how a physical offense is supposed to perform.

My question is what team doesn't want to be physical? 

Oh FishDuck, can you tell us what you learned after MC spent time with you after his first presser?  

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, my assertion about Georgia looking like an unstoppable juggernaut took all of 20 minutes to not age well.  <Sigh>

On 12/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, Mike West said:

Oh FishDuck, can you tell us what you learned after MC spent time with you after his first presser?  

Sorry.  Been tied up...he gave me three impressions, 1) the high scoring offense and tempo will remain, 2) Oregon will be tougher in the trenches, and 3) he was absolutely committed to "keeping Justin Herbert upright...no QB running between the tackles."  We had just finished the 2017 season with Herbert out for half of it, and that was on everyone's mind.

I NEVER would have thought we would see the offense we are seeing now coming away from that meeting.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

MC has done a good job of winning games in the PAC and The tOSU road victory was great but...... In the sports world coaches and teams are remembered just as much for the failures. This year Oregon wasnt even the best team in a pretty weak conference.    SMH. 

This is not the way we want our Ducks to trend.

Seems Saban is not ready to turn over his mastership title to a disciple yet.  

Edited by Duck1984
  • Haha 1