FishDuck Article

Despite Insider Chaos, Oregon Hires Georgia’s Dan Lanning

The last 72 hours were absolute bedlam, but at least Oregon has a new football coach. Atlanta Journal Constitution sports writer Chip Towers‘ broke the bombshell story on Friday, which has since been confirmed by multiple outlets: Georgia Bulldogs defensive coordinator Dan Lanning will be the next head coach of Oregon football. The official UO announcement is expected Monday. Before it ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

First good night's sleep since the night before the first Utah debacle..

Like all new and different situations one of the 2 twins of view point, optimism and pessimism, will shape our  perspective. 

I am confident this awesome forum will be filled with both. Based upon the posts, seen already since DL was hired, the debate will be a hot topic.

Personally, optimism dominates my view point.

Why?

It will help me enjoy this new ride. Just like that new car test drive, I am willing to take that beautiful baby for a spin. See how the vehicle sounds, feels, handles and performs. 

The Dan Lanning test drive is about to begin. Can't wait to see how he performs........

So many options available..

*Can he save the 2022 class

*Can he win over the players

*Does he hire a quality staff

*Will he open up the offense

*Can he recruit in SEC country

Texas and California 

*Can he win games, easy games

the big games, title games, CFP

and the Natty.

RM, PK any and all the decision makers believe he can. So do I.

Let the test drive begin Monday. We all get to see and hear how DL, handles.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Guest KingT

Agreed. So much optimism here folks. Young fresh blood, new opportunities for improved staff. Hold on to most of young existing squad, hold as much of recruiting class and potentially gain with an exceptional and proven recruiter. Excited to get rid of the boring style of play the Ducks have exhibited the last three+ years. There's a lot to be excited for with a proven SEC recruiting machine and young energy that will excite and motivate the athletes.

I think the confusion came from the news outlets source being Mullens and the Oregon AD. The real work was being done on behalf of PK and his power brokers, they don't talk. The news leaked out of Georgia as the real Oregon sources don't talk to Canzano or other reporters, burned too many times. 

I agree it was a brilliant hire. Many times the moves PK makes don't add up on the surface. Why would he sign Michael Jordon to such a crazy contract back in the day? Those who doubt the decision maker on this one will, again, find out they were wrong. I look forward to seeing the assistants he signs and the whole culture he sets up. 

I can guarantee you one thing, anything Lanning needs he will get. I am not talking about some pie in the sky stadium, but the things he needs to succeed will quietly happen. Lanning will succeed beyond our wildest expectations, just wait!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

The fact that Lanning wasn't a blip on our radar, but was targeted by Mullens and PK, told me that amidst the confusion, they knew what they were doing. Approaching the DC of a record setting college football defense, from the SEC, while the team was prepping for the Playoffs, was ballsy. Getting him to sign on with Oregon showed a connection of kindred spirits. Mullens and PK knew how important this hire was for Oregon football, and Lanning was eager to be the coach that got Oregon back to elite level. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Thank you Jordan. Good article and a good read.

Hope the hire pans out? Mullens is putting it all on the line with this hire. Hope the reward will follow the risk?

Do you know? Was it the search firm that first came up with Lanning's name? Seems odd that Mullens or anyone else at Oregon would have a reason to contact Lanning?

On 12/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, 30Duck said:

The fact that Lanning wasn't a blip on our radar, but was targeted by Mullens and PK, told me that amidst the confusion, they knew what they were doing. Approaching the DC of a record setting college football defense, from the SEC, while the team was prepping for the Playoffs, was ballsy. Getting him to sign on with Oregon showed a connection of kindred spirits. Mullens and PK knew how important this hire was for Oregon football, and Lanning was eager to be the coach that got Oregon back to elite level. 

30, any idea how Lanning showed up on the Ducks radar screen?

On 12/12/2021 at 8:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

30, any idea how Lanning showed up on the Ducks radar screen?

I have no idea and believe strongly that we'll never know the "Inside Story". It's inconceivable to me that a coach in his situation was open to a discussion. I believe that Mullens and PK, seeing the list of coaches most thought available were underwhelmed and went big time out of the box in approaching Lanning, who turned out to be eager to take the job.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2021 at 12:10 PM, 30Duck said:

I have no idea and believe strongly that we'll never know the "Inside Story". It's inconceivable to me that a coach in his situation was open to a discussion. I believe that Mullens and PK, seeing the list of coaches most thought available were underwhelmed and went big time out of the box in approaching Lanning, who turned out to be eager to take the job.

Thanks Brother.

From what I see Lanning was approached through the proper channels. Georgia has nothing negative to say about the hire, contrast that to just about any other hire out there!

I also think Mullens list and job was pretty transparent. He spoke to the necessary candidates, big boosters, while Lanning lit up the radar on the screen that mattered. 

Mullens job now is to put together a tight contract that rewards success and punishes anyone who wants to take Lanning away. I am sure that was agreed upon, and something Mario was supportive of too.

I do agree with what Mario has said about the process on hiring coaches. It isn't ideal, but it is what has been set up to date.

• Thumbs Up 2

I gotta believe this will be a great hire.

First of all, he has my name and same last initial. How great is that!! DL!!

Too be honest, I am glad JW turned the job down. I was underwhelmed and uninspired with him or CK. A young, hard working, great recruiter is exciting!

We should still be able to get top recruits. One thing for sure, our defense should be vastly improved. Maybe KT should reconsider and stay another year. 

Coach DL will start with a very tough schedule next year, one of our toughest ever. But, he is getting a team loaded with talent at every position. True, we will be inexperienced at QB, and that will be a need to address, I think his OC candidate is a former qb coach. That will help.

I think we should be excited about this hire and about next season. We won't go undefeated, but we can still aim for winning Pac12 again.

A week ago I was disappointed and blue, today I am excited and back to being green and yellow!

I even want to watch the bowl game!

Oh how I love to learn about my Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2