Flyin Vee

Interesting Read on Coach Who Never Punts

Seems like a pretty good idea at the high school level. You don't have punters, kickers who can do much. I wonder what data was being analyzed, I imagine high school statistics.

I do agree with analytics. Also love the line at the end of the story.

“Worldly wisdom teaches us that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally.”

This is another reason I like the hiring of the young guys. They will be more apt to question conventional wisdom and succeed doing it. Our program has the reputation of doing just that, once again, hopefully!

• Thumbs Up 2

His boss recently punted him down the road. His approach was not successful in CFB at Presbyterian.

In video games as a kid I would never punt and I would only do onside kicks... 

It was amusing for a video game.. and I can see how it could be successful in high school. However, we live in the age of offense now so depending on the defense to make stops with poor field position can't be relied upon... as well as the offense converting all 4th downs and special teams recovering all onside kicks will not happen. 

At high school... a good offense can mitigate these problems... but college, not so much.