Charles Fischer

Bill Walton Explains the "Tinder-Portal" Last Night

OK...I am not a big fan of his ramblings about his travels while a game is going on.  But this is funny...

Bill Walton Explains the Tinder Portal on Oregon-UCLA ESPN Broadcast by Matt Clapp of Awful Announcing

Bill Walton Dave Pasch

Mr. FishDuck

I hadn't even mentioned how big Bill was there! Say what you will, despite him being a legendary basketball player, he is without ego about his accomplishments. At UCLA, as a Portland Trail Blazer it's always about his teammates, this also comes through on his broadcasts, every player is having "the greatest game of his career!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Walton has been peddling this line for a while, it is a pretty funny, and a valid way of looking at it.

Tinder portal and Dana Altman

• Thumbs Up 1

Walton is the best - you either love him or hate him.  I find his telecasts hilarious and must-see TV (especially with Dave Pasch as his foil - "What's your name again?").  As a human being, he's a top-notch "glass is half full" kind of guy.  And he appreciates our Ducks and Dana Altman and pumps them up whenever he can.

Took my young son to a book signing that Bill had on the East Coast a few years ago.  Could not have been nicer to a complete stranger kid, took a few moments to ask about him, and gave him encouragement.  His message on my son's copy of the book is:  "To H___, Chase your dream, shoot every time."  Love that sentiment and appreciate Bill every time he's on TV, especially doing a Ducks game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bill Walton is the best color commentator in sports.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/14/2022 at 9:32 AM, Graziani93 said:

Walton is the best - you either love him or hate him. 

Same with Dick Vitale, and I love the guy and his passion too. So many stories of Dickie V giving away basketballs to kids and even sending them to kids. T

Recently the great John Madden, who also epitomized this passion in football passed away. It is important to embrace those you love when they are around!

• Thumbs Up 3

Growing up in Portland, I had an opportunity to meet Bill Walton when he first came to the Trailblazers and when I was a 16 year old gym rat (through circumstances that are interesting but not worth the time to explain now.). Walton was a very friendly person who took time to talk with a wide eye kid.  

What people might not know is that Bill suffered from a terrible stutter through most of his life.  It was almost painful to watch him speak, which if it was for his listeners, you can imagine how it felt for him.  After he retired from the NBA, he was advised by the long time announcer Marty Glickman to confront his fear head on and consider trying to be a broadcaster.  

It’s to his credit that not only was he able to overcome the stutter but has actively supported efforts to help others to confront this unfortunate affliction through the Stuttering Foundation. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I'm one who loves him. He's a little off the wall sometimes, but usually very funny when he is. On this topic, I think he has a point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If the  portal is like tinder, then the recruiting circuit is like a bar scene late at night.

Anyone eligible is getting hitting on non-stop even after they have made a decision on who they want to be with. Until there is a ring on the finger the pressure is relentless.

I can definitely see why some recruits shut down their recruiting early. The student athletes who allow themselves to be propositioned endlessly actually make me wonder about their character. 

I get wanting to visit the campus and having an in home visit from a coach. Kids going through a relentless barrage of offers can't be healthy for anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, Lucca0923 said:

What people might not know is that Bill suffered from a terrible stutter through most of his life.

It has been my contention for many years that because Bill didn't talk much in his earlier years, due to his stutter, that he has all those words that he didn't use rolling around in his brain and they have and will continue to be used until depleted!

• Haha 1

I learned more about Oregon history during his PK80 broadcasts than I did in grade school.

• Thumbs Up 1