Jon Joseph

Helmet to Helmet

Having just re-watched the great NFL divisional games, helmet to helmet in CFB would have been called many the time. I get the call for spearing but simple helmet to helmet contact being called in CFB is IMO, stupid. I'm all for player safety but so many of these H to H calls in CFB are simply the result of guys playing football.

It's a violent game. Award a 15 yard penalty for H to H. OK. But to kick guys out of a game and for a half into the next game for anything other than spearing?

• Thumbs Up 1

I couldn't agree more with Jon. The pro playoffs this weekend had several plays that would have been targeting in CFB, particularly with Pac12 refs (Stanfurd game, grrrr). Only rarely did you even get a call. Targeting should be reserved for when a player launches themselves with the crown of the helmet. Everything else should be either incidental contact, or a 15yd personal foul penalty and no ejection. Too many games have pivoted on this rule to not have a revision. 

• Thumbs Up 2

While we’re at it can we toss the celebration penalty onto the trash heap as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

They will have to continue to call if for liability reasons, I would think. The penalty and way it is called can be adjusted.

When an offensive players lowers his head that has to be taken in consideration. Too many times I saw calls that caused by the action of the offensive players. I also agree a full game suspension for many of the penalties is too harsh. The defenseless player calls need to continue though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:48 PM, Haywarduck said:

They will have to continue to call if for liability reasons, I would think. The penalty and way it is called can be adjusted.

When an offensive players lowers his head that has to be taken in consideration. Too many times I saw calls that caused by the action of the offensive players. I also agree a full game suspension for many of the penalties is too harsh. The defenseless player calls need to continue though.

Spot on and how about the number of times a RB puts his helmet into a defender's head gear?

You really want to end 'this?' Co back to leather helmets and no face masks. I played CFB, ice hockey and rugby in college. The fewest vicious hits? In rugby where no one wore a helmet.

• Thumbs Up 1