FishDuck Article

Arizona Coach’s Poor Sportsmanship on Full Display

Bush-league antics are alive and well in the Pac-12. But perhaps we should start from the beginning. Over the past several weeks, Arizona Wildcats women’s basketball coach Adia Barnes’ has made headlines after reportedly giving a well-publicized middle finger to Oregon Ducks women’s basketball coach Kelly Graves after her team blew a double-digit lead to lose 68-66 in overtime against ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I wish it was an embarrassment to Arizona's program, players, fans and alumni. I know it would be at Oregon. Fortunately we wouldn't tolerate this type of behavior.

I don't remember the specifics but at last years final 4 I was rooting for Arizona as the underdog until something this coach did and I thought never mind, Go Stanford!

She just rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm really glad that Oregon is on the side it is here. Having to defend or just ignore a coach's behavior must be grueling. 

Good read. Apparently, we have found the distaff Bobby Knight?

I remember Barnes' bird-flip last year. My recollection is that she made the gesture towards her huddled players as a sort of rallying cry. I think that's much different than a situation where she might've turned outward to the crowd, the other team or the scorer's bench to make that same gesture.

I have no doubt that many college coaches use salty language in the locker room and in the huddle. Thus, if that gesture brings her team closer together and rallies them against the perceived naysayers, good for her/them. In my view, the gesture was really overblown in the press at the time with shades of the PC police in action.

The whole episode this season at The Matt is different. That seems clearly to be a case of sour grapes followed by some weak rationalizations.  It's another in the all-too-common "Yeah, but..." cases.

I fully agree.  Adia Barnes should have been reprimanded by the PAC-12 and UofA for her actions.  It doesn’t matter what the Oregon coach did!  If she cannot control her temper but rather flip another coach off, and use the F word all the time, she doesn’t need to be coaching.  What a poor, classless example she is setting for those young women.  Btw, I live in Tucson and have written all Directors in the UofA Athletic Department.  Did I get a response from even one?  No.

Thanks for your efforts with Arizona, and I do hope you will post often here.  It is a safe place to post your thoughts, as everyone is simply trading opinions and are not allowed to be impolite to a fellow OBD member.  WELCOME!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck