woundedknees

Olympics...

Does it bother anyone that the ramp where the men's and women's " big air" ski events are going on is literally on a nuclear power plant site, immediately next to multiple cooling towers and the settling pond?

Reminds me of John Wayne filming epic action films in Monument Valley,  site of years of nuclear testing...

• Thumbs Up 1

Naw, kinda has an "Escape from NY" vibe, with snow.

Actually looks like a freeway overpass!

Guest Axel

I keep waiting to see Bart Simpson shoot skyward in the big-air competition, in the shadow of Springfield's nuclear power plant.

However, those huge stacks are not cooling towers from a nuclear power plant--they are what's left of a former steel mill that the Chinese government shut down in 2010. That mill reportedly caused massive air pollution in Beijing, and according to Chinese media, the area has been repurposed and redeveloped into a business park, complete with green spaces. 

There's an Olympics going on?

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Thumbs Up 2

Having the winter Olympics in a place with little snow is just plain stupid.  Shiffrin wasn't the only DNF in the slalom...there were about 35.  Artificial ice sucks

Dotted along the rim of the grand canyon are remnants of uranium mines. The NRC regulates the closure, under the uranium mine and tailings reclamation act (UMTRA). My point is one of his films was shot in the Utah staircase area. Also known now, but unknown at the time to have very high background levels of uranium. The company had finished with the outdoor shooting and the director John Ford decided to load 90 rail cars of soils and rock to use on the movie set in Hollywood. Uranium from a external Gamma dose is not that high. However the primary radiation hazard is the alpha radiation through ingestion of dust, etc..

within 20 years of that movie -all who worked on it died of some form of cancer.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:26 PM, Flyin Vee said:

Dotted along the rim of the grand canyon are remnants of uranium mines. The NRC regulates the closure, under the uranium mine and tailings reclamation act (UMTRA). My point is one of his films was shot in the Utah staircase area. Also known now, but unknown at the time to have very high background levels of uranium. The company had finished with the outdoor shooting and the director John Ford decided to load 90 rail cars of soils and rock to use on the movie set in Hollywood. Uranium from a external Gamma dose is not that high. However the primary radiation hazard is the alpha radiation through ingestion of dust, etc..

within 20 years of that movie -all who worked on it died of some form of cancer.

As did the Utah 'down winders' in the days of above ground atomic and nuclear bomb testing. You were able to watch these tests coast-to-coast on 'living' black and white TV screens.

I hope this is not too 'political' for the forum but I have no desire to watch anything coming out of China, and by watching possibly benefit China.

• Thumbs Up 1