geoquack

We saw Cooper Kupp Before He Was Somebody...

September 5, 2015.  Kupp had 15 receptions for 246 yards and three touchdown.  Fortunately, we had Vernon Adams (EWU transfer) and Royce Freeman.  Oregon 61, Eastern Washington 42.

It seems that all Don Essig said the entire afternoon was "pass complete to Cooper Kupp."

• Thumbs Up 3

I was there

Screaming "why can't we tackle that guy?" 

• Thumbs Up 1

A very timely post, geoquack. Cooper Kupp isn't the only player the Ducks faced before they were somebody. In 2007, fresh off a 55-24 thumping of Stanford at Palo Alto, the Ducks were home to face Cal, and a WR named Desean Jackson. All Jackson did was catch 11 passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns. Throughout the game and afterwards everybody was saying,"how did that guy burn us like that?"

The answer is because DeSean Jackson is really good. Numerous Pro Bowls and he holds the NFL record for most longer than 60 yards touchdown passes.

Another player that fits this mold is a TE who's name you might recognize. He played at Arizona and his name is Rob Gronkowski. In 2008 he caught 12 passes for 143 yards. Kupp, Jackson and Gronkowski had great games against the Ducks for a good reason. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A. rodgers

21-32, 275 yds, 3 tds

Oregon 27 - Cal 28

I remember looking for Eastern Washington on tv the rest of that year.  Was really impressed.  It was obvious this guy was a special talent.  Good for him, his success is well deserved.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was fairly young, but I still have vague memories of Reuben Mays slicing through the scrum as if it was just water... impressive!

I'd also be interested in an expert like @Charles Fischer breaking down that old WSU offense compared to these days. I feel like other than the QB being under center more than most teams do now, it was an excellent offense, and I am curious how much different it is from modern schemes.

Viking Duck...I was at that game, and that video showed me extraordinary blocking, as even a decent back would make great yardage from the blocking and the option operation by the quarterback.  Very impressive, but I do not have the time these days for your requested analysis.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

We were there together then, and at the time no doubt cursing his name 😆

I'm sure you are right though in the end - all of those highlights show nice wide open holes to run through, and good blocking is timeless 😄

Edited by Viking Duck

On 2/14/2022 at 12:37 PM, Viking Duck said:

We were there together then, and at the time no doubt cursing his name

Wow, my dad and me were there too. So, how many other in the Forum were there?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, 30Duck said:

Wow, my dad and me were there too. So, how many other in the Forum were there?

I was as well, very aggravating!