Jon Joseph

WAY, WAY, WAY TOO EARLY - Brett McMurphy 2023 Bowl Projections.

Playoff - 

12/31 - PEACH - 1. Alabama vs 4. Clemson

12/31 -FIESTA - 2. Ohio State vs 3. Georgia

1/9 - CHAMP GAME - Los Angeles - 1. Alabama vs 2. Ohio State

12/30 - ORANGE - Wake Forest vs Wisconsin

1/2 - COTTON - NC ST vs Houston (G5)

ROSE - UTAH vs Michigan

SUGAR - Oklahoma State vs Texas A+M

3 ACC teams in NY6 Bowls? Sorry Brett, I don't see this happening. IMO, it is far more likely that 2 B12 teams will be in the NY6. 1 of NC ST/Wake will not be in the NY6.

SUN - UCLA vs VA Tech

LAS VEGAS - Washington vs Ole Miss

ALAMO - USC vs Oklahoma (Think OK fans would like to see this match-up?)

HOLIDAY - OREGON vs FSU ( Brett has Miami vs Baylor in the Cheez-it Bowl; RATS!)

LOS ANGELES - ASU vs Air Force Academy

NEW MEXICO - Oregon State vs San Diego State

RED BOX - If this bowl is not played ESPN is likely to find a replacement sponsor for a game in San Francisco which could include a Pac-12 school)

So, Brett has 7 Pac-12 schools going bowling. I think Washington State is more likely to make a bowl than is UW. I can see CAL +/or Stanford getting to 6 wins in 2022?

I don't know if he has Oregon going to the Holiday Bowl because it played in the Alamo Bowl in 2021; or, if he believes USC will finish with one fewer loss than the North champ Ducks?

WHO CARES? This is a way too early prediction that I would not post except in the CFB 'dead season.'

Edited by Jon Joseph

These things are, as they admit...WAY WAY WAY too early.  Next year's top 25 in January, just click bait to me.  Waste of time to read these in my worthless opinion.  But I get it, we football freaks can't help it.  They know it, it sells ads

• Thumbs Up 1

With a new coach, who has never coached, a new qb, who probably has maybe never started, along with a completely new coaching staff, Oregon has to be one of the biggest mysteries out there. It does beg the question, can you bet on next years game already?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I was not impressed with last seasons coaching staff or schemes. It's not really a stretch to see that the on field talent won many of those games.

It seemed like the coaching staff went on automatic pilot after the incredible victory at tOSU. After that the team underperformed a little less each week. But the young talent, coupled with superb play by Sewell, Dye and a few others kept winning against inferior PAC opponents.

Once the bloom came off the Rose against Utah, the coaching staff bailed. Once the. CFP was unattainable, MC had no reason to stay. Naturally the staff looked to their immediate future. But the young talent kept fighting. It takes good coaching with solid game plans to win big games.

This way way way way way to early forecast is meaningless. What matters is can Coach Lanning and his staff lead this talent on the field. How many first time coaches get a talented team handed to them? A team that inspite of an uninspired coaching staff won in the shoe! The coaches and their ability to lead this talented roster will determine whether we play in the Rose Bowl, Holiday Bowl or some toilet bowl.

I am anxious to see........

• Thumbs Up 2

I do think Nix gets the start at QB and he has played under Dillingham before. Under DL, I think Dillingham will be more than an ornament on the sideline. I don't see and hope we won't see, DL micro-managing during the week and on game day.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I do think Nix gets the start at QB and he has played under Dillingham before. Under DL, I think Dillingham will be more than an ornament on the sideline. I don't see and hope we won't see, DL micro-managing during the week and on game day.

I will be happy if he at least doesn't have to call a time out at the beginning of the game to micromanage. Actually I agree, I think Lanning knows how to delegate and manage outcomes, expectations. The coaches and players are going to enjoy the expectations and progression of outcomes created by the staff. They may struggle at times, but the great ones love the struggle.

I also agree with Happytobe, the staff was mailing it in way before the Utah debacle. The micromanaging was killing more than the players. I have a feeling there were call being made out on the college circuit way before the season ended.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a way to early prediction and again USC is getting the hype.   Finishing 2nd in the Pac-12 with Oregon 4th.   I guess if you keep picking USC to be good you eventually you will get it right!  We'll see where the chips fall at the end of the season.  USC will no doubt be better but I love how the media guys always pick USC as their darling pick to be either a playoff contender or right up there challenging for the conference championship every year.  I think Riley is a good coach just not sure he can turn it around that quickly.  My money is on Oregon finishing ahead of USC this year.... well actually almost every year!  Go Ducks!!

On 2/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, Quackerbacker said:

This is a way to early prediction and again USC is getting the hype.   Finishing 2nd in the Pac-12 with Oregon 4th.   I guess if you keep picking USC to be good you eventually you will get it right!  We'll see where the chips fall at the end of the season.  USC will no doubt be better but I love how the media guys always pick USC as their darling pick to be either a playoff contender or right up there challenging for the conference championship every year.  I think Riley is a good coach just not sure he can turn it around that quickly.  My money is on Oregon finishing ahead of USC this year.... well actually almost every year!  Go Ducks!!

Good take. But I see SC battling Utah for the South? I don't see many Pac-12 teams scoring at the pace of SC in 2022? Maybe Utah can hold down the SC O in SLC but Stroud and the Buckeyes lit up the Utah D and Utah AA LB Lloyd is off to the NFL.

Agree.  Utah and USC should battle for the south.  That should be a really good game on Oct 15 at Utah.  That should draw some eyeballs.  Could even get Game day possibly (haven't looked at the other teams playing that week).  If USC wins I still think at this point that we play them in the title game and beat them!!  I'm not sure who in the North is good enough to win more games then we will.  I'm a fan so I always have my green colored glasses on when making predictions even when I'm trying to be unbaised.  It's a sickness in a good way!  🙂

Both teams would have to be unbeaten to have a game day crew on campus. That would mean Utah would have beaten Florida and is ranked in the top ten.

Should Oregon beat Georgia, BYU and win all its games upto October 15th, it's conceivable that the PAC could have 3 top ten teams. That's how you get national attention....

Whether it's Utah or USC in the PAC title game, Oregon will have their hands full. Can't wait..........

On 2/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Both teams would have to be unbeaten to have a game day crew on campus. That would mean Utah would have beaten Florida and is ranked in the top ten.

Should Oregon beat Georgia, BYU and win all its games upto October 15th, it's conceivable that the PAC could have 3 top ten teams. That's how you get national attention....

Whether it's Utah or USC in the PAC title game, Oregon will have their hands full. Can't wait..........

Great take. I think SC has a very good chance of being 6-0 heading into Utah and that the Utes if Utah can start fast out of the box, can take down Florida in the Swamp. Bot 9/3 in the Swamp? It will feel like being in a Swamp.