FamilyofDucks

Proven coordinators Josh Gattis, Kevin Steele Believe in the Vision and Leadership of Mario Cristobal

Steele seems like a very good assistant, well done Mario. Steele is also associated with one of the worst head coaching time management decision in the history of college football. This should cause Miami a little consternation, but it doesn't seem they are worried about game management, or really what the product is going to look like on the field.

It's still about the Jimmies and the Joes. Gattis had the top OL at Michigan last season that he won't find at Miami. He had a QB who was steady and did not make mistakes. Who replaces QB King at Miami? How did Gattis' O look versus UGA?

And Steele? I would judge his career as inconsistent at best. At Auburn, he had better players on the D side of the ball than he will have at Miami. One of the top Miami DL guys portaled to ASU.

I don't get all the love being thrown at 62-60 Mario and at the Miami program in general.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't get all the love being thrown at 62-60 Mario and at the Miami program in general.  

Well, just before he came to Oregon Willie Taggart did have a 10-2 season, but the previous 6 years he had a 30-48 record, and lot of people were excited about WT coming here.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:42 PM, Annie said:

Well, just before he came to Oregon Willie Taggart did have a 10-2 season, but the previous 6 years he had a 30-48 record, and lot of people were excited about WT coming here.

Great point. Where did Willie go 10-2? In the G5. Where he went 30-48 as you so accurately noted. SMH at the folks who believed that Mario would 'grow' as a HC. I have no understanding of why people believe Mario will return the U to the glory days but thank you for bringing him east.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I have no understanding of why people believe Mario will return the U to the glory days but thank you for bringing him east.

It really looks like the amalgamation of Mario and Miami is creating a glare. Diaz was doing fine, but Mario played at The U. The Miami fans didn't watch Oregon, were too immersed in one of their heroes coming back to even notice the games against Utah. Miami fans right now are convinced that Cristobal will have as much success as Saban would if he'd taken the job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

We all know that Mario Cristobal is a good talker. He's a very good recruiter, and he's talked two capable coordinators into adopting his spectacular vision for the U.

My Aunt Sally was a good shopper. She bought the very best beef tenderloin and the choicest Maine lobsters. But come dinnertime, her filet mignon was as tough as boot leather and the lobster tails were as rubbery as Nike sneakers. 

I think Miami fans are in for some gridiron disappointments that are every bit as egregious as Aunt Sally's culinary disasters.

We all were excited about MC at first but the luster wore off, for me, very quickly with the way he misused JH. And let’s face it there was a mass exodus going to happen at the end of last season and I believe DL saved it from being worse than it was. I give MC 2 years and the luster will be gone in Miami. We shall see if his BS is tolerated there more than here. Those boosters have spent a ton of money do get him and their patience may not be as lasting.

I really just wanted to read a couple threads and get back to work, but there's a few funnies in David Lake's article, and one in particular I can't ignore.  The following excerpt really got my attention.  

Gattis is a young coach that has worked for some of the best head coaches in the modern era as well: Penn State’s James Franklin, Saban, and Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh.

O.k., I'm not touching Saban but an argument against Captain Khaki can easily be made, and the real laugher is James Franklin.  I'm from the hometown of everyone's favorite legacy, and currently live within a two-hour drive of State College, PA.  I dig for Oregon news but can't go a day without hearing about PSU on local radio.  Something interesting is just starting to happen around here.  Some of the locals are beginning to question the Head Coaching abilities of one, James Franklin.  PSU is once again top-10 in recruiting, yet the conference big guns have zero fear of The Nittany Kittens.  

Right after the MC news broke in December, I thought to myself, James Franklin is MC of the East.  Horrible game management, does not put players in positions to excel, but...he can recruit like a son of a gun.  Ross Tucker is on a weekly PSU radio show and fields questions from callers.  Seems as if the natives are starting to get restless.  Last week a caller questioned Ross as to why PSU players can be dynamic (Thanks Micah Parsons) at the next level and shine at the combine, yet the team struggles against inferior talent.  Ross fumbled for a moment before shockingly directing his response to failures in coaching.  It's apparent that even the least savvy football fans today are aware of recruiting rankings which is causing the PSU faithful to say, "Where are the wins?"  No one talks PSU when it comes to even winning the BIG10.  

Plenty of other things to poke fun at in this column, such as both coaches mentioning Mario's vision.  The offensive and defensive schemes I was accustomed to seeing the past few years in Oregon were completely void of vision.  It's funny how disposable an article can be when it is filled with quoted dribble by interviewees or BS statements by the author.    James Franklin, one of the best head coaches of the modern era.  Hahahaha!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great point. Where did Willie go 10-2? ...

It was at South Florida, 2016, just before he came to Oregon (assuming I read all this correctly!).