Jon Joseph

CFB Playoff Field to Remain at 4 Through 2025

Staying with a 4 team field through the existing contract that expires in 2025 was confirmed by the CFB Playoff Committee today.

If the conference stays at 9 conference games which appears most likely to be the case, will a Pac-12 team make the field prior to anticipated expansion of the field in 2026? Likely not happening unless USC can defeat Notre Dame and go 12-1; or, the Ducks or Utah go 12-1.

With the Alliance scheduling agreement on the rocks I don't think the conference can weaken the inventory of games by adding a 4th OOC game. But the conference can help the cause by getting rid of divisions, ending the CA school scheduling agreement and assuring that the 2 best Pac-12 teams play for a conference title.

This decision was not unexpected but it is leaving millions and millions of dollars on the table before 2026. 

Disappointing to say the least, but hardly unexpected.

These clowns should run for congress, they'd fit right in.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, kirklandduck said:

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

How about 'make it no,' instead of 'make it so?'

• Thumbs Up 1

It may be a blessing in disguise. Right now at least there's a chance of not having a SEC against SEC for the championship every year. That's what I see with the way the expansion as proposed would have worked out.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:02 AM, Duck 1972 said:

It may be a blessing in disguise. Right now at least there's a chance of not having a SEC against SEC for the championship every year. That's what I see with the way the expansion as proposed would have worked out.

SEC vs SEC, Bama vs UGA, has happened 2 out of 8 seasons. But its not just the final 4 that's the problem, it's the fact that season after season the SEC puts at least 3 and often 4, teams into the lucrative NY 6 bowls. This and the SEC champ being in the final 4 every season, just gives more recruiting ammunition to a conference that doesn't need it.

I get the angst over Sankey sub rosa taking in OK/TX from the B12, but not to expand is shooting the ACC and the Pac-12, in particular,  in the financial foot. Another short sighted, parochial, stupid decision by people who should know better. For goodness sakes, UCLA is $60M in the red! Is anyone in the ACC and the Pac-12 paying attention to the bottom line? 

SEE ABOVE: noDucknewby nailed it!