30Duck

How About Marcus Mariota at Quarterback for the 49ers?

• Thumbs Up 2

I LOVE THIS!  This is the only place where they still run some Zone-Read and will utilize him the way Gruden did.  Not too much, but some.  After reading up on him--it appears he has been injured for a long time and has finally recovered.

I hope this happens, as it would be good for all parties.  (Trey Lance is NOT ready, IMHO)

Mr. FishDuck

Ever since "the catch" that beat my then beloved Cowboys I've despised the 49ers. However, my allegiance to the Cowboys has waned since Jimmy bought them, so if Marcus should end up there, I'd be all for a Chargers-49ers Super Bowl!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, 30Duck said:

Ever since "the catch"

Still have my ticket from that game.

A little like Wheaton's pick in that there was still time left in each game and the D's stepped up.

On 2/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, 30Duck said:

I'd be all for a Chargers-49ers Super Bowl!

Ok, so who would you root for?

On 2/24/2022 at 5:58 PM, Steven A said:

Ok, so who would you root for?

I'd be all for the Chargers, would still have a bit of the residual hate left. 

I think almost all of us would love to see MM have a mid-career resurgence - I know I would! 

Unfortunately I think he fits the old stereotype of a 'running QB' that he will get too banged up playing with NFL players. Maybe just from bad luck, but hopefully if he gets in the right scheme that keeps him healthier, he will find success.

He has a good deal with the raiders. I don’t want to see his career end with an injury which might happen if he is running the ball more than he is in Vegas. The Raiders make sure he gets his bonus money so let’s not get selfish. Not sure he would want that job.

49ers should be so lucky!

On 2/24/2022 at 8:18 PM, Viking Duck said:

Unfortunately I think he fits the old stereotype of a 'running QB' that he will get too banged up playing with NFL players. Maybe just from bad luck, but hopefully if he gets in the right scheme that keeps him healthier, he will find success.

Not getting sacked in passing situations would help a lot from an injury point of view. 

Simply put... if he is running the ball and gets to the second level he is getting tackled by linebackers or a secondary player. Ideally a safety or corner... but either linebacker or secondary are both smaller players than defensive linemen coming in at full steam. Or if he is running towards an edge he has the option to just step out of bounds and avoid a hit all together. 

I would argue that he sustained so many injuries because he wasn't put in a position to run the ball. 

At Tennessee a mixture of a bad offensive line and a scheme that forced him to play a style of football that isn't his natural fit resulted in a whole lot of unnecessary hits which led to injuries. Then injuries not healing or not healing properly just leads to more injuries. 

On 2/25/2022 at 1:13 PM, David Marsh said:

Not getting sacked in passing situations would help a lot from an injury point of view. 

Simply put... if he is running the ball and gets to the second level he is getting tackled by linebackers or a secondary player

I would posit that being an NFL QB just inherently means that you’re going to be injured at some point.  “This ain’t no tea party!”