Duck 1972

How Does Oregon's Roster Rank in 2022?

247 is very good at roster rating. The rating uses a number of factors but importantly, reviews the rankings after 'summer practice' and does a very good job of factoring in impact transfers.

1n 2021, the 247 rankings had Bama 1 and UGA a very close 2nd. THIS turned out to be pretty darn accurate. 247 coming into 2021, had Oregon roster ranked No. 9. For any number of reasons, the 2021 effort did not match the preseason ranking.

Agree after summer practices it may provide even more clues. So many transfers and mysteries as to how recruits will impact programs, all we can do is guess. It is like throwing darts with our eyes closed at this point. Once summer practices the eyes are open and they will know and see where the dart board is. It is hard not to wonder, guess and really just hope, dream of great things to come!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/27/2022 at 12:01 PM, Haywarduck said:

Agree after summer practices it may provide even more clues. So many transfers and mysteries as to how recruits will impact programs, all we can do is guess. It is like throwing darts with our eyes closed at this point. Once summer practices the eyes are open and they will know and see where the dart board is. It is hard not to wonder, guess and really just hope, dream of great things to come!

Great points. And with the way of the world today, what will the portal look like after teams conclude spring practice? How many players who compete and don't get to start will be willing to stick where they are and continue to compete instead of bolting for the portal? How many FCS and G5 guys will be looked at in the spring and then be 'offered' to move onward and upward?

On 2/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great points. And with the way of the world today, what will the portal look like after teams conclude spring practice? How many players who compete and don't get to start will be willing to stick where they are and continue to compete instead of bolting for the portal? How many FCS and G5 guys will be looked at in the spring and then be 'offered' to move onward and upward?

It will be an interesting development to watch evolve. For now teams averaged 10 players lost to the portal. An average of 5 of those players are still in the portal. It seems like the players will need to be a little more strategic going forward. Just because you are pissed you didn't get a starting role, or enough playing time isn't the best reason to enter the portal. Reminds me of the classic cop out for the could of, would of, should of been elite college athlete, 'if the coach didn't have an attitude and I was an inch taller I'm in the bigs!'

On 2/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, Haywarduck said:

It will be an interesting development to watch evolve. For now teams averaged 10 players lost to the portal. An average of 5 of those players are still in the portal. It seems like the players will need to be a little more strategic going forward. Just because you are pissed you didn't get a starting role, or enough playing time isn't the best reason to enter the portal. Reminds me of the classic cop out for the could of, would of, should of been elite college athlete, 'if the coach didn't have an attitude and I was an inch taller I'm in the bigs!'

It's sad. There are far more guys in the portal than there are scholarships available. Many walk-ons are in the portal but a significant number of guys who had scholarships will not get new ones.

And being CFB, there is no one in central authority to advise these young men and a whole lot of guys giving them bad advice.

• Thumbs Up 1