FishDuck Article

Ignore the Analysts, Ducks Still Good for Tournament

Enough of the bubble babble, folks. Let’s give it a rest. When the Oregon Ducks men’s basketball team missed the game-winning shot to fall to the No. 16 USC Trojans on Saturday night in Eugene, many believe the bubble may have finally burst. But I refuse to join the growing crowd of heretics. I find it hard to believe Dana ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks, Jordan. I'm gonna go with something much more reliable than metrics, I'm going with MY GUT! (wink,wink)

Obviously the Ducks need to sweep the Washington schools, then, if they "only" make it to the championship game of the P12 tourney, they should be good for The Dance.

If they only make the semis, there is a sliver of a chance. But of course, winning it all would be the preferred method. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jordan...that is a fun read!  Highly informative and entertaining as heck--and you certainly make some good points.  Anytime you blend the Ducks, Joe Lunardi and Bill Walton...it has to be good!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A fun article for sure Jordan, and while I much prefer Walton, to Lunardi, or CBS's Jerry Palm, I'll call foul on his call for 8 teams from the Conference of Champions to be in the tournament. Three, Arizona, UCLA and USC are in, and considering the L's, the Ducks have to Stanford, Cal and ASU, 2 times, even being on the bubble is optimistic in my mind for Oregon. 

When you start having Must Wins as early as the Ducks did this season, the Bubble is where you sit. Had the Ducks beaten the Trojans it certainly would have helped, but I feel that even if that happened, the Huskies and Cougars would still be Must Wins.. If the Ducks can get those, a finish in the top 4 is possible, and with it a first round bye, and then only 2 W's would be needed to get the Ducks to the Conference Final, and possibly, with the respect that Altman has garnered, to the Tournament.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Jordan.

I am a bit confused by the conclusion of your article? Do the Ducks have to win the tourney and thus automatically advance; or, just have a good showing in the Pac-12 tourney?

What do the Ducks have to do, short of winning it all, in the Pac-12 tournament to make 'The Show?' Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, Champ Game loss? 

I agree that the Ducks is not out of the NCAA tournament but it is going to be a close call. Maybe even a 'First Four' game spot?

Thanks again. Nothing better to ponder as we approach March and the Madness.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, 30Duck said:

A fun article for sure Jordan, and while I much prefer Walton, to Lunardi, or CBS's Jerry Palm, I'll call foul on his call for 8 teams from the Conference of Champions to be in the tournament. Three, Arizona, UCLA and USC are in, and considering the L's, the Ducks have to Stanford, Cal and ASU, 2 times, even being on the bubble is optimistic in my mind for Oregon. 

When you start having Must Wins as early as the Ducks did this season, the Bubble is where you sit. Had the Ducks beaten the Trojans it certainly would have helped, but I feel that even if that happened, the Huskies and Cougars would still be Must Wins.. If the Ducks can get those, a finish in the top 4 is possible, and with it a first round bye, and then only 2 W's would be needed to get the Ducks to the Conference Final, and possibly, with the respect that Altman has garnered, to the Tournament.

Bill, being CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS bombastic, who knew?

On 2/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, 30Duck said:

the Huskies and Cougars would still be Must Wins..

And I think both are going to be tough.  We were fortunate to hit the shots at the end when playing the Cougs, and they were very athletic.  And Washington has been beating a ton of teams, and is much better than when we played them last time.

It is hard to beat a decent team on their home floor that is fired up when you slaughtered them before...

And if we lose one or both....the only way to the tournament is an improbably Pac-12 Tournament Championship, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Any way you look at it: very disappointing season.  An Underachievement.  When the guards score, we win.  When not…..”not so much”…….