Log Haulin

Changing CFB to LESS Football?

college-ncaa-referees-officials-g.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Limiting exposures to improve player safety has become a top priority

The college game is great. Leave it alone please. Try looking at NIL and portal for rule changes first.

It's always going to be a tug between the (admirable) desire to make the game safer and the fact that it's an inherently violent game.

If the administrators REALLY wanted to put student-athlete safety above all else, there is a game called flag football.

I think they are torn between the idea of more safety, trying to keep the game true to its roots/what is popular among the public, and the fact that they can't afford to kill the cash cow.

As... Jon Joseph has supposed (if memory serves?) if CFB moves towards collective bargaining and a more businesslike model regarding player compensation and perhaps transfers, then the ones actually playing the game will have more of a voice in this conversation.

I also think that NIL is a genie that is not going back in the bottle, due to stare decisis.

• Thumbs Up 1

I read the article and it's head trauma suits that are driving this discussion. It's the same thing with targeting. And they are not going to back down. It will change. 

It also talks about the reason the ACC turned down PO expansion

If, more likely when, the Playoff goes to a 12 team field, something will have to be done to shorten the time of today's game.

Us greybeards can remember the day, not so long ago, when the clock did not stop on 1st downs. And why not do what golf does and run an advertisement simultaneous with extra point tries? College football games across the board, except for certain B1G schools, continue to decline in game attendance. 

NFL games for the most part fit into the allotted broadcast windows. CFB? Rarely do games end within the allotted broadcast time. And what was wrong with regular season games ending in a tie? Tie games were the norm for decades before OT play for every game showed up.

Start the clock running when the ball is kicked and not when touched or free-catch called, or when the ball goes out of bounds or through the end zone. Also, start the clock when the ball is ready for play after an incompletion and not when the ball is snapped.

All of the above have been proposed. If adopted, it would result in the regular season # of plays with contact involved declining from 12 to close to 11 games of play.

Duck 1972, my friend, the ACC balked because without Notre Dame as a conference member the ACC is saddled with $17M per team. per annum, from ESPN through 2036. The ACC commissioner will demur but this is the reason behind our Alliance 'buddy' saying 'NO' to playoff expansion.

BTW, in 2022, the Pac-12 has no regular season games scheduled against the ACC.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

If they speed up the games that only means we will get to the commercials that much faster. Oh boy.

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:56 PM, Viking Duck said:

It's always going to be a tug between the (admirable) desire to make the game safer and the fact that it's an inherently violent game.

If the administrators REALLY wanted to put student-athlete safety above all else, there is a game called flag football.

I think they are torn between the idea of more safety, trying to keep the game true to its roots/what is popular among the public, and the fact that they can't afford to kill the cash cow.

As... Jon Joseph has supposed (if memory serves?) if CFB moves towards collective bargaining and a more businesslike model regarding player compensation and perhaps transfers, then the ones actually playing the game will have more of a voice in this conversation.

I also think that NIL is a genie that is not going back in the bottle, due to stare decisis.

Great take. Take a 9-0 L vs the Supremes? That is some kind of stare decisis. 

The only way to decrease injuries is to play less. What the definition of less looks like for college football will in large part be decided by the litigating attorneys. 

When you have 200 to 300 lbs bodies colliding at full speed it’s not if you will get injured, it’s when. 

I know that parents are more apprehensive about allowing their kids to play contact sports as kids get bigger and stronger as they specialize their bodies for a particular sport. 

Looking at the size and strength of many recruits coming out of High School I can fully understand why. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. Take a 9-0 L vs the Supremes? That is some kind of stare decisis. 

Thank you. I am very far from being a legal expert, but in 'water cooler' discussions I have got the feeling that some people still look at it as some NCAA regulation that can be changed or modified. A very decisive supreme court decision essentially means that NIL is, if not the law of the land, at least the yardstick that any changes to NCAA rules have to measure up to, and there is no getting around that fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:57 AM, Drake said:

When you have 200 to 300 lbs bodies colliding at full speed it’s not if you will get injured, it’s when. 

I know that parents are more apprehensive about allowing their kids to play contact sports as kids get bigger and stronger as they specialize their bodies for a particular sport. 

Looking at the size and strength of many recruits coming out of High School I can fully understand why. 

My son is going to be a senior in high school and I discouraged him from playing football, for precisely this reason. He's a smart kid, and a better student than I was in high school TBH, and he's got a much better chance of getting a good job/bright future through academics than through trying to become a pro athlete.

I do realize the inherent hypocrisy of this, since I still love watching college football, but that is just the truth of my decision.

I still remember (amazingly) getting pinned between a couple blockers during a practice scrimmage play in high school, after which the blocking fullback gave me a wicked helmet to helmet hit as he was blocking that hole. Not only did the world spin around for a few minutes, but I literally saw black and white, no color, during that time. Very surreal!

Knowing what we know now about concussions and long term brain damage, I shudder to think about that. Of course in those days (80's) I shook it off and was in on the next play. 😕

On 3/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, Viking Duck said:

My son is going to be a senior in high school and I discouraged him from playing football, for precisely this reason. He's a smart kid, and a better student than I was in high school TBH, and he's got a much better chance of getting a good job/bright future through academics than through trying to become a pro athlete.

I do realize the inherent hypocrisy of this, since I still love watching college football, but that is just the truth of my decision.

I still remember (amazingly) getting pinned between a couple blockers during a practice scrimmage play in high school, after which the blocking fullback gave me a wicked helmet to helmet hit as he was blocking that hole. Not only did the world spin around for a few minutes, but I literally saw black and white, no color, during that time. Very surreal!

Knowing what we know now about concussions and long term brain damage, I shudder to think about that. Of course in those days (80's) I shook it off and was in on the next play. 😕

Great take.

This most understandable attitude regarding your son playing football is one of the reasons participation in HS football is declining in CA and throughout the west. Parents are rightly concerned about their sons being 'dinged.'

Meanwhile, down south, in addition to the regular season, many the HS holds spring practice. The recruiting pool out west gets thinner all the time and the Pac-12 footprint is not producing guys like those who play DL in the SEC.