30Duck

CFB Matrix Says Oregon Should Hire Cal's DC

Dave Bartoo, the man behind College Football Matrix thinks that Washington should have Cal's DC, Tim DeRuyter, on their short list too.

“If you’re a Washington Husky fan, it’s like whiplash right now. I’m glad I’m not a Husky fan. I’m a big college football fan, but that’s a tough pill to swallow here ... I think it’s an unbelievable hire by Texas and an unbelievable loss to Washington.”

He is considered the real force on defense for Cal, and not Wilcox according to some on another site.  He would be a good hire, but I have my doubts about this lateral move...?

Mr. FishDuck

2 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

He is considered the real force on defense for Cal, and not Wilcox according to some on another site.  He would be a good hire, but I have my doubts about this lateral move...?

$$$$$ talks. Looks like he's underpaid. 

Just now, GODUCKS15 said:

$$$$$ talks. Looks like he's underpaid. 

OK...that would make sense.  I could hardly believe that Avalos is only being paid 1.4 million per year at Boise State...

Mr. FishDuck

It would be interesting to see a Cal coach switch to Oregon for a change. 

Wilner reported in February Cal's AD had lost $89 million over the previous five years; and, the NYT projected a $24 million 2020 shortfall might reach $55 million with COVID.

Not sure exactly on those numbers, but if accurate probably a tough environment to hand out huge coordinator matches (if somebody comes calling).

With Sirmon being named co-DC (and apparently given play calling duties last March), keeping both might be seen as even more a luxury. I guess DeRuyter is thought to be interested in being a HC again, and was in the UNLV mix before Arroyo was hired. A name that would surprise me a bit.

Edited by AnotherOD

Tim DeRuyter wouldn’t be a bad choice. I have no doubt he would leave so fast he’d leave a cartoon outline of himself and a trail of dust. $400k/year in the Bay Area, the Cal defense is viewed as all Wilcox, with Peter Sirmon as the co-DC who makes nearly double. Oregon was paying Avalos more than double that, while Salave’a and Heyward get paid $650k and $600k. 

The question is if we would want him. DeRuyter looks like he’s had DC success at every stop he’s been at: DC at Ohio, Air Force, and Texas A&M. Had two good years as Fresno State HC, including an 11 win, conference championship season before two losing seasons and a 1-7 start as part of a 4-16 run got him canned. He’s an LB coach, which is what Avalos left. It doesn’t look like DeRuyter ever recruited anyone Oregon would ever take, but has obvious California ties. 

Someone will eventually hire him. Low salary and good experience makes him a viable candidate. Maybe a candidate for Washington’s new opening, as is Peter Sirmon. Which if Sirmon leaves I imagine DeRuyter would be their DC although I doubt he would turn down Oregon if given the choice. Not the sexiest candidate, but we don’t need a flashy hire if they’re effective. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The big question that comes to mind is less about the X's and O's and more about his recruiting prowess. Cristobal won't hire someone who can't recruit at a high level.

Granted... Cal's recruiting has taken quite a few steps forward the past recruiting cycles so who knows...