Charles Fischer

Bizarre Number Changes--See Who...

I think there must be an error with the article?  It says that two tight ends are going to have the number 3?  At GoDucks.com it shows that Terrance Ferguson in No. 3, and Spencer Webb is No. 4.

Oregon-Ducks-Fall-Camp-8.10.21-12-49-03-
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Spring brings transformation and change. Spring football brings new jersey numbers for several Oregon Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah, there have been the same numbers used by players on offense and defense, but the same position? Doubtful. Sometime ago it became "cool" to get the single digit. Runningbacks were in the 20's and 30's, but Reggie Bush was no.5, and if any player deserved a cool number it was him.

I like it. Sharing a number certainly determines that they won’t be on the field at the same time however it would also blur which one is inside the skin at a glance. Is one player a better blocker and the other more of a receiver? 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, Flyin Vee said:

I like it. Sharing a number certainly determines that they won’t be on the field at the same time however it would also blur which one is inside the skin at a glance. Is one player a better blocker and the other more of a receiver? 

The two tight ends do not have the same number, as it was an error in writing the article.  Go to the GoDucks.com link I provided...

Mr. FishDuck

I like Keanu just sitting on 99! Everyone is chasing the little numbers and the big DT is happy with the big one!

On 3/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

I like Keanu just sitting on 99! Everyone is chasing the little numbers and the big DT is happy with the big one!

Anyone rockin the 99 is instantly dubbed "Wayne Gretzky" by yours truly 

On 3/12/2022 at 11:43 AM, shawnski said:

Anyone rockin the 99 is instantly dubbed "Wayne Gretzky" by yours truly 

And if he becomes, "The Great One" Oh my.

Guest Axel

In my opinion, the best uniform number of all time was worn by a baseball player, a person with dwarfism, who was the star of an August 1951 publicity stunt created by Bill Veeck, the wacky owner of the old St. Louis Browns.

The player’s name was Eddie Gaedel. He stood just 3 feet 7 inches tall, he had no baseball experience whatsoever, and Veeck showed him how go into a crouch in the batter’s box, which shrunk his strike zone to about 1 ½ inches.

Most importantly of all, Veeck instructed Gaedel—no, threatened him, to just stand in the batter’s box and not swing.

In Veeck’s autobiography “Veeck as in Wreck,” he related what he told Gaedel before his fateful at-bat: “Eddie, I’m going to be up on the roof with a high-powered rifle watching every move you make. If you so much as look as if you’re going to swing, I’m going to shoot you dead.”

Not surprisingly, Bob Cain, who was pitching for the Detroit Tigers that August afternoon, was unable to throw a strike. Gaedel did not swing and Veeck did not commit a homicide. Eddie Gaedel took four straight balls, calmly dropped his bat, and the shortest man who would ever play in a major league game, number 1/8 for the 1951 St. Louis Browns, trotted down to first base.

Edited by Axel

On 3/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, Axel said:

The player’s name was Eddie Gaedel. He stood just 3 feet 7 inches tall, he had no baseball experience whatsoever, and Veeck showed him how go into a crouch in the batter’s box, which shrunk his strike zone to about 1 ½ inches.

image.jpeg.ac1c2a9ccf6c79c65053ea547f81c0f8.jpeg