FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Justin Herbert: The Surprising NFL Star

From being the sixth overall selection in the 2020 NFL Drafts to being the No. 56 NFL player ranking, Justin Herbert has become the headline for the fans. Within a short time period of two years, Herbert rose to such fame that the majority of the NFL players could only dream of. For a guaranteed $26.6 million, Justin Herbert signed ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Justin has made me a Charger fan. Very fun to watch him play. His long ball accuracy is uncanny. 

Btw…The TD and total passing yard record that he broke were the Chargers single season records.  Ironic that it was another Duck that finally surpassed Dan Fouts long standing record for total passing yards in a season. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Seeing Herberts skills shown off in the NFL against THE BEST competition he's ever had to face only makes me more disappointed in MC's inability to see what we had and utilize it. I'm completely convinced Justin just refused to lose that game against Wisconsin, and despite whatever plays were called, he decided to keep the ball himself and carry the coaches to a win. What an absolute squandered waste due to hard-headed coaching and style!!! It's like having Barry Sanders in the backfield and deciding you're only going to run an air raid with slants and quick outs! 

At any rate, I consistently cheer for all of the Ducks in the NFL but Herbert being in LA has me watching/researching the Chargers in much the same way I do my Ducks. Here's to Onward and Upward with Herbie!

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't be surprised if JH's contract gets reworked after this next season. If he has another stellar year for 2022 then it would behoove the Chargers to Lock him down. A deep  play off run would be a a triple digit figure in the millions. Maholmes has a $45 million/yr contract for 10 years plus a $10 million signing bonus. $141 guaranteed. I hope Herbert does a 10 year contract but has the option to renegotiate after 4. $25 million sounds right for a playoff run. $35+ if they make the SuperBowl.

Surprise? Only to Mario and McShade.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Surprise? Only to Mario and McShade.

Nailed it. My reaction exactly. 

Watching our beloved Marcus for those glorious years, I saw a college quarterback who was a phenomenal runner and an above-average passer. Watching Justin a few years later, I saw a college quarterback with a phenomenal arm who was an above-average runner. Which of those two skillsets translates best to the modern NFL game? Justin's.

After his relatively disappointing Oregon career ends (albeit with two solid outings in his final games as a Duck when a few of the "shackles" were removed), he goes on to win the MVP of the Senior Bowl against arguably the best players from around the country. He follows that up with an impressive showing at the NFL Combine. Oh, yeah. He also won the "academic Heisman," reminding us that he's a very smart cat.

No surprise here that he's become a star as a pro.  Wellllll, I guess it's kind of surprising that he's done it so quickly. I think he got very lucky to be drafted by the Chargers as opposed to the Jags or the Fins.  That part of the equation was out of his control.

• Thumbs Up 4