30Duck

A Look Back at Marcus Mariota's Career at Oregon

457456424.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Marcus Mariota will start the next chapter of his career with the Atlanta Falcons this year. Let’s look back at where he’s been up to...

What I find very interesting is what NFL teams do with their players.

That 2014 Natty game (in January 2015) revealed how MM would perform in the NFL.

He is lethal when on the move, and with the right mix of pass plays from the pocket ( with the right set of TEs/WRs).

He was more suited to take the Titans to the Super Bowl than the ceiling they have with Tannehill. 

The Raiders were the first team I've seen properly use MM.  My only concern for him is injuries.

MM hasn't had an OC for more than a year his entire career. That's pretty crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mike West said:

What I find very interesting is what NFL teams do with their players.

That 2014 Natty game (in January 2015) revealed how MM would perform in the NFL.

He is lethal when on the move, and with the right mix of pass plays from the pocket ( with the right set of TEs/WRs).

He was more suited to take the Titans to the Super Bowl than the ceiling they have with Tannehill. 

The Raiders were the first team I've seen properly use MM.  My only concern for him is injuries.

MM hasn't had an OC for more than a year his entire career. That's pretty crazy.

The NFL seems to have an assumption that any top player will adapt to fit their system. The best GMs and coaches know this isn't the case but so many just try and force players to fit the team. 

We saw a similar thing with LaMike James ... He is a running back who wants to run in space but when he was drafted it was taking a good running back and putting him in a position that isn't his skill set... Slam him between the tackles. 

Mariota needs someone who can build a playbook around his skill set and use him to his strengths. That is the case for many duel threat oriented quarterbacks. 

As for the injuries... I would say many of those were a result of poor scheme and a bad offensive line than just poor play. 

At Oregon how many plays would Mariota run towards a sideline when the play breaks down rather than sit in a collapsing pocket and get smashed? 

Getting beat up by massive NFL defensive linemen is rough... Need to let Mariota opporate more to his skillsrt which might result in him only getting hot by a cornerback or linebacker.... Or he gets himself out of bounds. 

I'm hoping having a coach with some stability and a scheme that is built more to his skill set allows him to succeed.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/26/2022 at 11:24 AM, David Marsh said:

The NFL seems to have an assumption that any top player will adapt to fit their system. The best GMs and coaches know this isn't the case but so many just try and force players to fit the team. 

Chargers are doing it right with JH. Draft a big, rocket-armed QB who has tons of potential that was underutilized in college. Realize just what a special talent you have when circumstances thrust your new QB into the battle sooner than you had anticipated. Have a coaching staff tailor an offense to him, draft a monster LT to protect his blindside and spend the next two years building a team around him that will let his skills shine, keep him upright (see Detroit Lions and the previous JH as an example of how to do it wrong) and give him a defense to protect those leads he generates.

All the best for MM in Altanta. If they can create an offense that lets Marcus stay upright and gives him targets in space, it will be what we all want to see for him. Good luck though, with that depleted O-line and receiver corps.  Still, we can hope..

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/26/2022 at 11:24 AM, David Marsh said:

As for the injuries... I would say many of those were a result of poor scheme and a bad offensive line than just poor play. 

Agreed.

MM will succeed if he is out in position to use his skill set properly .. including avoiding injuries.

Chip knew how to use him as did Mark.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Chargers are doing it right with JH. Draft a big, rocket-armed QB who has tons of potential that was underutilized in college

I think Herbert is built more for universally for any NFL team than MM. Herbert is bigger and has a stronger arm. Herbert just needed some receivers to show off his potential. I do think Herbert would fit almost any NFL team as he can really run a prostyle offense without changing up what he does best. 

Mariota needs a bit more of a schematic fit. Get him out of the pocket to be a duel threat regularly. 

Herbert leaves the pocket like any other good quarterback and does run the ball from time to time... But Mariota needs to make defenses account for his running ability in ways that Herbert does not.