30Duck

Lanning: "Explosive Plays" but "Turnovers"

So, it's great to hear about explosive plays that are largely about scheming, turnovers can be worked on. 

sp_32922-12.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Lanning says the offense showed the ability to make explosion plays happen on Tuesday, but there were too many turnovers for...

• Thanks 1

After 2 weeks of being off I don't know how they should be expected to perform first day back? Is he being 2 tough on them?

These are not his players and I sure hope he doesn't alienate them from the start.

On 3/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, Duck 1972 said:

After 2 weeks of being off I don't know how they should be expected to perform first day back? Is he being 2 tough on them?

These are not his players and I sure hope he doesn't alienate them from the start.

With the transfer portal, anyone who shows up tomorrow are his players. From previous articles, sounds like these players are compleatly bought in. Who knows though, vomit on the sidelines might peel off a few.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, Duck 1972 said:

It feels more honest to me than anything else. Lanning is promoting this learning and growing mindset and a big part of that is celebrating what they did right (explosive plays) but recognizing what they need to improve upon (turnovers). 

Practice is the place for players to make turnovers and mistakes as long as they learn from it. Our beloved Marcus Mariota apparently regularly turned the ball over in practice but he also has one of the best touchdown to incerception ratios in Oregon's history. He learned his limits and spacing in practice and didn't make those mistakes in games. 

Also... Practice always carries with it the cavaet that the offense could be making good decisions and the defense is just super opportunistic which is a good thing ... Or it could be bad decision making. The reality is probably a bit of both. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I pretty much agree with David Marsh's take here, but I'd also add that I would never take the coach's report after a spring practice without a grain of salt. I am sure any smart coach is going to use that to reinforce whatever message he wants the team to take away from that practice - in this case perhaps good energy and explosive plays but too sloppy.

I don't really remember how Chip Kelly addressed the media after closed practices, but my general sense is that it was probably making jokes reporters' expense and 'no comment'; so at least the current situation may be more information for us fans than that!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:10 PM, Viking Duck said:

I think I pretty much agree with David Marsh's take here, but I'd also add that I would never take the coach's report after a spring practice without a grain of salt. I am sure any smart coach is going to use that to reinforce whatever message he wants the team to take away from that practice - in this case perhaps good energy and explosive plays but too sloppy.

I don't really remember how Chip Kelly addressed the media after closed practices, but my general sense is that it was probably making jokes reporters' expense and 'no comment'; so at least the current situation may be more information for us fans than that!

Chip Kelly basically said absolutely nothing to the media. He got away with it because he was winning. Now he is having some more grumpy boosters and fans. 

• Thumbs Up 1