30Duck

MBB: De'Vion Harmon Coming Back

He did have some moments.

1355348415.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks’ third leading-scorer from last year is coming back for one more go-around in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think this is definitely a positive.  Altman said the players did not have a very good summer last year.  With a full year as a Duck under his belt, maybe De'Vion will be more comfortable and hopefully take more of a leadership role next season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but I don't know if this is a positive; he was part of the problem this year and we have plenty of shooting guards coming in and returning.  If he doesn't start...is he going to pout and hurt the team chemistry?  If he does start...are we going to see a player who puts the time into the gym, and is a positive Alpha-Male for the team?

Streaky shooter, and not great from the three-point line.  He is a reason why we needed change, IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/8/2022 at 1:01 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Sorry, but I don't know if this is a positive; he was part of the problem this year and we have plenty of shooting guards coming in and returning.  If he doesn't start...is he going to pout and hurt the team chemistry?  If he does start...are we going to see a player who puts the time into the gym, and is a positive Alpha-Male for the team?

Streaky shooter, and not great from the three-point line.  He is a reason why we needed change, IMHO.

Not too sure about that.  How was De'Vion a problem when his attitude was good and, in post-game interviews, was often touting effort and team chemistry?  I don't think we have to worry about him "pouting" on the bench. 

We do NOT have plenty of shooting guards (already here or coming in) that are proven "shot makers" and not just "shot takers" as Dana has stressed.  Sure, he can be a streaky shooter, but that is the nature of shooters and shooting in general.  On this team, De'Vion, was one of the few guys (except for Jacob Young) who could both drive to the basket and shoot the three with any consistency.

In today's college game, outside shooting is crucial and De'Vion, especially when open, knocked them down at a good clip (37% on threes).  I think it's a matter of adding more good shooters, not addition by subtraction because he's a "part of the problem." 

• Like 1

Oregon still needs a true PG. When Richardson was the SG and PP ran the point he was a much better shooter. IMHO he isn't a true PG. Harmon could be a good off guard if the Ducks get a decent point. While a freshman point can't be expected to run the floor like a veteran, and the surrounding talent is not like the 2016-7 team that went to the final four, Pritchard did a great job his first year at point. Maybe Dion Johnson will be that player.

• Thumbs Up 1

D Johnson should be that player. I believe he's the #1 PG recruit in the country.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, Duck 1972 said:

D Johnson should be that player. I believe he's the #1 PG recruit in the country.

Boy, I like the sound of that.  If Dior can just handle the ball and distribute, it will better facilitate Will and De'Vion's skills and make them better shooting guards.  Add to that the other couple of guards coming in via transfer (hopefully good shooters), and the outside game can actually open up the middle for Dante, Bittle, and Ware.  Getting excited just thinking about it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:17 AM, Graziani93 said:

Getting excited just thinking about it.

Oregon isn't a blueblood yet. But, we're all excited about the football season coming up, especially after get Conerly, and now excitement overload about the basketball teams, I'm optimistic about the Women's team too. Remember, the bad seasons for the basketball teams were still good seasons. Just look around, you can see BAD seasons. 

• Thumbs Up 1