David Marsh

The Transfer Portal Is Causing Some Teams To Have Roster Problems

texas-spring-game.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

The transfer portal is creating roster issues across the sport.

This is not shocking to anyone at this point but because of the transfer portal some teams are losing more players than they can replace because of the 25 player per year signing limit.

I talked about some of these problems months ago. It is hitting some teams harder than others, unsurprisingly teams that are not terribly good but recruit well are suffering the most. 

Cyrus-Habibi-Likeo-v-Washington-2019-Tom
FISHDUCK.COM

College football is more complicated than ever, especially when it comes to recruiting and the transfer portal...

Right now the current policy is a lose-lose for everyone. Players are finding themselves without scholarships and institutions to play at when they enter the transfer portal as over 10% of all scholarship college football players enter it per year and most never find a new home. Then there are programs finding themselves with holes they can't fill because they have lost players and don't have enough yearly scholarships to fill them. 

This does need to be fixed. It's sad it has taken this long for the powers at be to recognize there is a problem, though no surprising. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I read a post that reported 40% of portal players are not finding a place

The "haves" vs the "have nots" as always.

Teams can now unofficially "show the door" to the marginal players hoping they enter the portal to free-up the scholarship, without the bad publicity of taking the scholarship away as I am not sure all scholarship are guaranteed for the full 4 or 5 years.

It used to be year-to-year, although I think fairly recently teams started offering guaranteed scholarship to be competitive. 

The Pac-12 adopted guaranteed four year scholarships in 2014.  I assume the rule is still in place although it didn't slow down Lincoln Riley.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, Steven A said:

I am not sure all scholarship are guaranteed for the full 4 or 5 years.

Yep! Unless a player violates the scholarship contract/agreement they sign then they are guaranteed the scholarship for the duration. 

Cristobal showed a lot of players the door unofficially. I am sure that is happening still in the Lanning era as well but at this point I am sure Lanning and co are assessing what they have more than anything else. Now that spring is over they might be nudging some towards the door.