Steven A

Emmert's Exit the Start of Mass Changes?

One can only hope.

AAWEJbc.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f
WWW.MSN.COM

The Transformation Committee is considering wholesale changes that would make the NCAA’s post–Mark Emmert era a completely...

'Bout time

Steve, it's already started.

By 2023, conferences will be governing themselves. The NCAA Constitution has been so amended and the Transition Committee is in the process of coming up with a new plan of governance. 

As it should be! 1100 schools are NCAA members. A D3 should not have the have voting power as Alabama. Ditto Texas State and Texas.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, is co-chair of the Transition Committee. At the very least, rules and regulations will be different for the P5 and G5 than for lower divisions.

Notre Dame's AD says D1 athletics are headed for a split:

...the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

“There’s always been sort of a spectrum—and I want to stress that everything along the spectrum is valid; it’s not a criticism,” Swarbrick said. “On one end of the spectrum, you license the school name and run an independent business that’s engaged in sports. The other end of the spectrum, you’re integrated into the university in terms of decision making and requirements, and some follow that.

A brave new world.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:16 PM, jrw said:

Notre Dame's AD says D1 athletics are headed for a split:

...the fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.

“There’s always been sort of a spectrum—and I want to stress that everything along the spectrum is valid; it’s not a criticism,” Swarbrick said. “On one end of the spectrum, you license the school name and run an independent business that’s engaged in sports. The other end of the spectrum, you’re integrated into the university in terms of decision making and requirements, and some follow that.

A brave new world.

A new world, no doubt. But more a new money-bag' world than a brave one?

On 4/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

a new money-bag' world

Yep, no longer does a paper bag have the tensile strength to hold the $$$.

P.S. I wrote in code so ewe dubers wouldn't understand. 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Pat Forde from SI said on Sirius today that the Transition Committee has begun to circulate its idea for how to proceed free of the NCAA but for the NCAA holding tournament events for all sports other than P5/G5 CFB.

I made a long drive today while listening to hours of ESPNU on Sirius.

I wish I could credit the speakers, but I cannot remember their names. Some things I remember them saying are:

- All football fans should celebrate today. "I feel like we should all be like The Munchkins - running around today singing Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead.

- College football is undoutedly moving to a premier league and new structures for the rest. They talked about how such an arrangement would effect programs and fans at schools like Memphis that will be left out of the top tier. Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said this week that a break up and restructuring of Division I "is inevitable".

- In another segment it was suggested that two names being tossed around to replace Emmert are Jack Swarbrick or Greg Sankey. I cannot fathom either of them being interested in the position.

Can you imagine Greg Sankey coordinating rules revisions of college football? The PAC12 would fare well under Sankey.

Edited by Notalot
  • Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, Notalot said:

two names being tossed around

I also heard Condoleezza Rice, which is out-of-the-box and kind of like the George Kliavkoff hire.

Related:

jack-swarbrick.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

Wholesale change is unavoidable in college athletics. The Fighting Irish athletic director thinks a total realignment of Division I is coming with it.

GettyImages-1235169766-1024x683.jpg
THEATHLETIC.COM

Mark Emmert and other former university presidents have failed. It's time to think outside the box for his replacement.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:25 PM, Steven A said:

I also heard Condoleezza Rice, which is out-of-the-box and kind of like the George Kliavkoff hire.

How about anyone who has not been a university president and has had to manage a real instead of a not-for-profit budget?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1