30Duck

The Ducks Used The Whole Team To Beat The Huskies

Image result for jaz shelley images

With two starters out, and another player sidelined, Oregon's depth was unmistakable  in the beatdown of Washington. To read more of how this team win was accomplished, you can read this article from GoDucks.com

Quality depth is always an asset. The win over the Huskies was impressive. We need to get our big guns healthy and on the court to gel before the tourney. What a difference another year will make for this roster.

I feel the teams identity was largely established yesterday against UW and their leader found!  The entire offense  going  forward needs to be run through Prince  in my opinion.  She is an Arvydas Sabonis  like player for our lady Ducks!  She can see over "almost anyone" she'll face, passes very well and is a double/ double machine in the making. Once she's doubled and she will be, she can kick it out to a Parish or Boley for a wide open three.  I also really think she could run a very tough high pick and roll game with Sabally "once healthy" having Prince instigating from the top of the key that would be damn tough to defend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

The entire offense  going  forward needs to be run through Prince  in my opinion.  She is an Arvydas Sabonis  like player for our lady Ducks! 

Sedona stands out in more ways than one! The Sabonis comparison is a great one, and hopefully, by having the offense run through her, her passing skills will be utilized even more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What I noticed yesterday that was huge was the whole team looked to Prince and she has the personality to carry it!  I haven't seen that this whole year yet.  She will allow the others to play free which they haven't for the last two weeks.  Once that happens this team will be DAMN GOOD!  Another nice thing is this team has a Catfish that can clean up around the boards in Dugalic.  Everyone may be focusing on PaoPao, Parrish, Pince, Sabally and Scherr  but Dugalic will  quietly get 10 -12 a game soon cleaning them all up off the glass. 

Southern Duck...you are new and I love your participation in these discussions about Womens Basketball--great observation about Dugalic.  She does play a very quiet, but impactful game for the Ducks.

What I loved about that game is how FOUR FRESHMEN were in double figures!  Paopao, Dugalic, Prince and Parrish; beat the Huskies with four freshmen?  Gotta love it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

5 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Southern Duck...you are new and I love your participation in these discussions about Womens Basketball--great observation about Dugalic.  She does play a very quiet, but impactful game for the Ducks.

What I loved about that game is how FOUR FRESHMEN were in double figures!  Paopao, Dugalic, Prince and Parrish; beat the Huskies with four freshmen?  Gotta love it!

I was a tad nervous that this team was "unfairly" living  in the wake of Sabrina, Ruthy, and Satou.  So when they lost to Stanford, UCLA and then mailed it in against AZ the fireworks that they are struggling to find an identity on the fly seemed very real.  To be very honest, without Prince showing up "almost healthy" yesterday, those questions still may not have been answered.  Luckily a clear path has now been lit for the rest of the team to follow.  The key " for me" is to keep Prince healthy and rested as to not put to much pressure on her to carry this team until the others have the D-1 confidence to be major contributors.  Parrish looked sooo much more comfortable out there knowing she could toss it into Prince.  I'd like to also see Dugalic and Sabally be in at the same time to play double danger rebounders when Prince takes a rest.  

My hope is at some point either Sabally or Dugalic is going to channel their inner Karl Malone. That is the missing ingredient for this team and one very necessary to beat the more physical southern schools who play soooo tough around the glass!  

We'll see.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been saying for a while that Dugalic will be one of our starterssoon, and especially when we go big. Prince, Sabally and Dugalic will be tough to handle. Which brings up an interesting observation.  What to do with Boley?  Now just bear with me here.  There is an interesting metric out there to assign numbers to a players' performance in games and I'd love to see hers as I'm sure it's probably not as good as some might think.  She seems to go through lapses of concentration in some games. And yes I know she's got some issues with her back, but at this point in the season they all have nicks and dings.

I didn't see us missing her that much against Washington, and to the contrary it allowed other players to get some playing time,  especially Dugalic and our guards, especially Parrish.  I really think at times she is just not contributing that much, especially when she's in one of her shooting funks.  I know she improved her overall game but, it might be time for her to be the designated 6th person or man, if you will, off  the bench.  I get it that KG probably wants that senior leadership out there, but it might be time to let the players who will take us back to the final four get their lumps and confidence..

One of the players who impressed me was Giomi.  She got some extra minutes and really turned them into highly productive numbers, and Dugalic continues to slowly, quietly be a  steady force out there with her rebounding, shooting, passing and general toughness.  I'm not dissing on EB, just trying to add some food for thought here. 

The future is certainly bright at Oregon...

Again, just my $.02.

GO DUCKS!!!

Edited by NogerO
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, NogerO said:

I'm not dissing on EB,

Doing critical analysis of player and coaching performance is what we do here as readers.  As long as we do not get personal, (and you never do) then we are fine.  We can discuss the negative, and what needs to improve and this helps other readers know what to look for.  Your posts are very helpful to the layperson trying to learn basketball, so please continue.

It sure does feel like Parrish is the shooting small forward replacement for Boley in the future?

They brought up in the telecast how Dugalic was a monster rebounder when looking at the number of minutes played....so they all must be looking at those metrics.  Fun stuff to discuss!

Mr. FishDuck

I have seen a lot of women's basketball over the years and I was hopeful that Pao Pao would step in and be the leader we lost in Sabrina. It was clear to me after the Colorado game that Boley not Pao Pao is the leader of the team. I see Pao Pao more as a Minyon Moore type of player. You saw Prince take over in the Washington game due to Boley having back problems and did not play. When she is in the line up she is the one moving players to the correct position and directing. If you think we have or will get another Sabrina Ionescu, just stop. She is a once in a lifetime player. Appreciate the team and talent here. Remember there are only 2 seniors on the team, Boley and Giomi.

PhotoDuck!  Great to see you as a new member and I know you can add a bunch to our discussions here.  Welcome!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck