Charles Fischer

Canzano: Questions and Answers About Phil Knight's Pursuit of Trail Blazers

Insiders tell me that if Phil Knight really wants the Trail Blazers he’s likely to get them. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver played it straight on Thursday. He confirmed that the Trail Blazers will eventually have to be sold and the Paul G. Allen Trust liquidated. This flies in the face of the Blazers’ claims that they’re not for sale.

I think this is “bargaining” blather, as you have to appear uninterested to leverage a higher price.

It is smart to try to offset the “must-sell” leverage against you to get a better price.

It is just posturing…

Mr. FishDuck

I'm sure PK knows what the right price is for Trailblazers. Just the opening bid so far.

Also testing the water for other competitive bidders.

If history is any metric, the blazers will screw it up. 

Phil Knight might just turn it around. 

Edited by Vandownbytheriverduck
Better word choice.

I read a few years back that the Blazers were worth about 2. 5 billion, so Im thinking the offer will now have to be in the 3 bil range.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:53 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

so Im thinking the offer will now have to be in the 3 bil range.

Very likely. The current owners now need to make sure it looks like they are selling the Trail Blazers, not that Phil just came in and grabbed them. 

What we are seeing is how shrewd money does a deal. Compare that to how Ballmer bought the clippers and you can see the difference between how smart money is used and those who really don't care. I realize the Clippers are now worth more than he paid, but he overpaid. Ballmer's wife on the other hand, is a savvy lady!

I won't go into their home states, but it is telling.

489626585.jpg?quality=85&w=1200&h=628&cr
TIME.COM

A sports economist crunches the numbers on how much the basketball team is worth, and says the former Microsoft CEO has no reason to bet the Los Angeles team will ever be worth $2 billion