Flaps2

Notre Dame's Decision

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

I guess I don't understand the new math.  Reports put the B1G potential media rights at $1 billion, the same reports ballpark each of the existing 14 members will receive $100 million.  Not sure how that works.  

Even more confusing is by adding at least two and possibly four (or more) institutions the distribution will remain the same $100 million.  Will Fox suddenly decide to pay $2 billion for an expanded advertising base?  Wouldn't that indicate another entity (say a PAC-12/Big12 merger) might also have access to that additional billion dollars?  If Fox doesn't double their payout how does a billion dollars split 18 ways equal $100 million each?

On 7/3/2022 at 6:19 AM, McDuck said:

I guess I don't understand the new math.  Reports put the B1G potential media rights at $1 billion, the same reports ballpark each of the existing 14 members will receive $100 million.  Not sure how that works.  

Even more confusing is by adding at least two and possibly four (or more) institutions the distribution will remain the same $100 million.  Will Fox suddenly decide to pay $2 billion for an expanded advertising base?  Wouldn't that indicate another entity (say a PAC-12/Big12 merger) might also have access to that additional billion dollars?  If Fox doesn't double their payout how does a billion dollars split 18 ways equal $100 million each?

People are just roughing out estimates based on assumptions right now.   I think the BIG deal was estimated to be just north of $1B and that was before adding USC, UCLA, and ND. Those schools will increase that number dramatically, as they bring the 2nd largest media market and national branding. Does it get to $2B?  Probably not.  And I think the payout once the deal is done will actually be closer to $80M per team, but we will see. 

Do I think Fox is overestimating the value of the LA market?  Absolutely, especially if USC and UCLA are not winning conference titles. 

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2