curtisd316

Notre Dame's Most Likely Option (and preference) is to Remain Independent in Football

According SI's Pat Forde, a source has told him Notre Dame's most likely option (and preference) is to remain independent in football.

Conference realignment is all the rage right now, and the assumption is that Notre Dame will finally stop being independent and join the Big 10. That seems to be at least a few years away, as sources in Notre Dame indicate that not only is remaining independent their preference, but it's also the current leader in terms of options.

Two things could force their hand however, which are the dissolution of either the ACC or the College Football Playoff which has it's contract expiring in 2026. There's always been the assumption that the playoff will stick around and expand, but with all this shuffling who knows. 

Jul 4, 2022, 7:34 PM ET

If so the Big 12 is the best option for Oregon
  • Great post! 1

Either way I don't know how this helps the Ducks. "What will be will be the futures not for us to see" 

I agree that ND will stay independent.  There is more $ for them in the current system.    Each time they make the playoff, they get to keep all the $ instead of sharing with conf members.  And they have made it twice already.  Same with bowl games.  Imagine that.   Plus they have their own TV deal with NBC...  If ND stays independent, I think it improves the chance of B1G admitting UO and UW, if nothing else, to help with scheduling for USC and UCLA.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not convinced. 

And here's why... 

ND opted to be a partial member of the ACC for football and though they have been happy with that arrangement at this time they still felt the need to be partial members of aajor conference. 

ND has some prestige but not the same amount they used to and I do believe they joined the ACC to make scheduling easier as that is something that would be come more and more difficult. Additionally, I don't see them being able to maintain their current status of independent with the difficulties that are only going to get harder of being independent or semi independent. 

That other major independent player, though not as big, BYU has opted to join a conference. 

ND has had a path to the playoff because of their prestige, something BYU never had. 

The playoff is going to expand and it will favor conferences over independents. ND can dictate terms, atleast more so than when playoff expansion hits. 

I think there are those at ND who favor the tradition of independence, just like how we favor the tradition of the PAC, but others know which way the win is blowing and ND will need to join a conference as a full member and if they don't they will be left out in the cold. 

I would also like to mention that Oregon has more playoff wins than ND. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, DuckFan93 said:

If ND stays independent, I think it improves the chance of B1G admitting UO and UW, if nothing else, to help with scheduling for USC and UCLA.

I can't stand the idea of following USC to the B1G.  Those arrogant jerks will act like we should be thanking them.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1