Charles Fischer

If Oregon/OSU Are Locked Together...Shouldn't the State of Oregon Pay for Non-Revenue Sports?

I needed to ask this of everyone before I get started on my business day.  If the State of Oregon gets involved in this and demands that Oregon and Oregon State are a package that goes together either in a new conference or staying in the Pac-12...if the state is going to make that demand--shouldn't they pay for it?

You know where I'm going with this...because if Oregon remains in the Pac-12...we will get buried by the revenue to two biggies are earning.  But to compete, we will need to spend as much on football as they do, and with a much smaller revenue pie to start with--the football expenses slice becomes much bigger.  

This means we have to cut sports at both schools or the State of Oregon has to come to the rescue.  That brings up other issues about how much we have to answer to them, etc.

(This discussion can be done without delving into politics)

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

If it came out of tax money then wouldn't Beavis get a bigger share based on enrollment?

Absolutely right, Charles. If we're going to root on Gov. Newsom in California for questioning whether or not UCLA can leave the Pac12 for that midwest conference with a losing Rose Bowl record, then we've gotta accept the same kind of meddling by the Oregon legislature and governor. Frankly, I think that ship sailed a long time ago when the state stopped paying for virtually ANY of the costs associated with the Duck and Beaver college football programs.

While we may often be frustrated by the way college football "regulates" itself, I don't think it will help to get politicians involved in it. To me, it's akin to that dispute between two parties who can't come to a compromise. They ultimately go to court to settle matters, and often both parties are subsequently frustrated when the judge makes a decision on the matter.  (Hope this comment was generic enough to qualify as "non-political.")

• Thumbs Up 2

Well this would doom two programs instead of (maybe) one.  Wouldn't surprise me though, unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with you Charles.  If the state can't see the coming tidal wave and refuses to allow the U of O to get out of the way of that tidal wave then they should pay the damages that their actions cause.  For me that would included paying for the non- revenue sports and compensating the U of O for the lost revenue due to their actions.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am locking this thread.  Even with a warning of "don't go political," a couple of people either went political, or wrote something that could start an inferno.

We can do it, as we did it with COVID discussions, but some people do not have impulse control.  And I banned a newbie member this morning that not only had little regard for our rules....he decided to "poke the bear" a couple of times.  (What did he think would result from that?)

So what a great day!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck