Pennsylvania Duck

Reasons Ducks Would Leave PAC-10 with Big 10 Invite

TEV36JVSOVBULJE3C6OVKMZ7NQ.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Pac-12 and Commissioner George Kliavkoff are on the clock.

I agree with the article.  Oregon needs to wait it out as long as possible, not locking into any contract at this time with the Pac-12.  I can be wrong, but I doubt the Big 10 will want Oregon, Washington and Stanford to be locked into a new 5-6 year contract with the Pac-12.

Can the Pac-12 actually get a good contract with competing distribution $$$'s?  It doesn't seem they can.  I hate seeing this happening to the Pac-12, but Oregon can't afford to be on the outside looking in.

Edited by NJDuck

If UO wants in the BIG 10, they'll end up there. To me the question is, what kind of Pac 12 expansion would make staying put more attractive? If the goal were to get to a Pac 16 who would you bring in?

I'd say SD St is a must. UNLV adds Vegas to the Pac footprint. Who in the B12 could both be enticed to join and be add value to the Pac? Houston, Baylor and TTU bring a Texas presence. Cincinnati sits in the heart of BIG 10 territory. Would adding these schools be enough to elevate the Pac to the third best conference or would it just dilute the Pacs value per member?

Just playing internet athletic directer makes my head hurt. I don't envy the folks having to make these decisions for real.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I see the Ducks and Huskies Staying, George wont let them go. If they did they would be the nail in the coffin for the Pac.

George will come up with a financial package and a few other solid teams.

Just my opinion and guess.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:45 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

To me the question is, what kind of Pac 12 expansion would make staying put more attractive?

Unfortunately, the answer today appears to be MONEY and more MONEY. I just can't see additional teams that would elevate the PAC-12 and still make the money to compete with the big boys.

Also, would we be happy being in the third best conference when we keep referring to ourselves as elite or would we always have our eyes open to join #1 or #2? I don't envy GK for the decisions he has to make..

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2022 at 11:13 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Unfortunately, the answer today appears to be MONEY and more MONEY. I just can't see additional teams that would elevate the PAC-12 and still make the money to compete with the big boys.

Also, would we be happy being in the third best conference when we keep referring to ourselves as elite or would we always have our eyes open to join #1 or #2? I don't envy GK for the decisions he has to make.

i agree.

All this seems to do is move us closer to proving that baseball remains America’s pastime; at least as the default structural model for team sports. Some evolving form of the NFL as the Big Dance with the SEC and B1G in the AAA role followed by lesser FBS and FCS conferences filling out the AA and A leagues seems to be as predestined as USC and UCLA trying to run away from Oregon.

I dunno. It would appear that bi-lateral dualism is what we unavoidably are: the beauty of multi-faceted college sport reduced to two sides: American and National. 

If and when, once pay for play becomes a settled, contractural reality, they’ll work out the details that provide some descending, reimbursement NIL-based pyramid structure ending with a federally mandated non-revenue/Title IX stipend that keeps those ‘other sports’ afloat.

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but when I read how Warren gloats that there’s two types of people in the world regarding change, it makes me think of all those decades it took the Big 10 to implement the PAC’s offensive strategy. Change is never fun when you’re the one having to do it.

Well, it’s not a done deal, but the clock sure seems to be ticking.