Pennsylvania Duck

Dawgnation: Bad Run Defense Won’t Fly Against Powerful Georgia

Ducks need good run defense to have success in Georgia game.

OBWY2RV4WVBUVGKKUV34DHCFB4.jpg
WWW.DAWGNATION.COM

ATHENS — If there’s one thing that would ruffle Dan Lanning’s feathers as the new Oregon Ducks head coach, it would be a poor...

If the Ducks defensive line transfers are as good as folks have claimed, then they should be noticeably better than they looked in those Utah disasters last year. And they better be. Otherwise Georgia will pound the rock all night. I  suspect that Lanning will load the box early and often in the game to try to force Georgia to throw the ball. Of course, that becomes easier to do if Bennett gets the ball out early to any of the three monster tight ends, all of whom have great ball skills and are, quite frankly, match-up problems for defenders.

I  think we see a lot of cat-and-mouse explorations (by both sides) in the first quarter of the game in the Benz.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

If the Ducks defensive line transfers are as good as folks have claimed, then they should be noticeably better than they looked in those Utah disasters last year. And they better be. Otherwise Georgia will pound the rock all night. I  suspect that Lanning will load the box early and often in the game to try to force Georgia to throw the ball. Of course, that becomes easier to do if Bennett gets the ball out early to any of the three monster tight ends, all of whom have great ball skills and are, quite frankly, match-up problems for defenders.

I  think we see a lot of cat-and-mouse explorations (by both sides) in the first quarter of the game in the Benz.

Those Utah losses were the cause of two things. One Oregon was super injured by that part of the year. I think one stat was basically like there was only two games that had the same defensive starters and that was it due to injuries. 

And two... Poor coaching. Simply put Utah was the only team during the regular season that figured out how to beat Oregon and execute it. Sell out to stop the run and provide enough secondary coverage. Brown then panics and plays hero ball... Which is a massive failure for the team. 

Basically... What Utah did was challenge Cristobal on his single minded run the ball mentality and challenged him to pass the ball. Cristobal responded by trying to run the ball harder up the gut and it didn't work. 

I feel confident that Lanning isn't that single minded and has a much much better plan in place. 

The Utah games were an embarrassment but it wasn't because of the players but the scheme and game plan they were forced to commit to. Well... Maybe Browns inability to see and pass across the middle didn't help... But still. Coaches need to put their players in position to succeed not fulfill some single minded idea of toughness.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:51 PM, David Marsh said:

And two... Poor coaching. Simply put Utah was the only team during the regular season that figured out how to beat Oregon and execute it. Sell out to stop the run and provide enough secondary coverage. Brown then panics and plays hero ball... Which is a massive failure for the team. 

Mario's Utah game plan.