Pennsylvania Duck

Four-Star DL A'mauri Washington to Commit...Oregon Lean

This would be a big get for the ducks and a need.

Copy-of-Copy-of-four-star-julian-phillip
WWW.ON3.COM

One of the Ducks top defensive line targets, A'mauri Washington has set a commitment date and it's less than a month away.

Stat/Scouting Info

• Let’s hope! 1

I like this kid, talented and already at college-ready size!

I can't remember the last Top 200 DL guy we got

I think the answer must be 2015 and Canton Kaumatule (who while technically was listed as a SDE, likely was never going to play there entering college at 6-7 and 290)?

If we have to throw that one out, next would be 2012 Arik Armstead (though most services listed him as either an OL (or ATH), if he was listed as a DT, he still would have been a top 20 prospect).

If we can't count that one, it probably goes to 2010 where Ricky Heimuli was listed as #77 nationally and #5 DT.

Looking further, there is the infamous 2007 "what might have been" pair of Myles Wade (#157) and Simi Fili (#176) - who both DNQ. 2004 had David Faaeteete (#140), and of course 2002 Haloti Ngata.

Interesting to see Haloti ranked as the #10 overall prospect that year, and #2 DT. The #1 DT and #6 overall player was Texas recruit Rodrique Wright, who went on to be a good college DT, drafted in the 7th round by Miami, and played 3 NFL seasons followed by 2 in Canada. In maybe the "it's a small world" category, he now is coaching Mario's DEs at Miami.

I remember (some) Duck fans being surprised to see Haloti ranked as far down as #10. He was a huge commit. I recall a story at the time about former BYU standout and then local TV reporter for the Eagles Via Sikahema (who spent 26 years in Phil and is a member of the Phil Broadcast Pioneers Hall of Fame) catching Andy Reed after a game to get a few comments. After a couple quick questions and a thank you to the coach, Andy said to Via (who knew Via was a huge BYU guy), "Congrats, I saw you guys got the big kid" - referring to the news of Haloti's initial commitment to BYU.

It always struck me, #1 overall or #10 overall, #1 DT or #2, if Andy Reed knew all about you, especially circa 2002, you were probably a pretty big recruit.

Unless I'm missing a name or two, not a huge list of top 200 recruits at DT for 20 classes.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 1

A 4-Star on Rivals too....please-please-please!

A'mauri Washington - Hudl

Mr. FishDuck