DazeNconfused

Tight Lipped Lanning Says Josh Conerly Jr. Could Play 'Relatively Soon'

Wow, the kid must be pushing the Vets on the OL in camp here. 

Q: How had Conerly’s camp been and how game-ready is he at this point?

Lanning: “I think Josh is gonna be a really good player for the Ducks. I mean, I think he’s gonna be a phenomenal player for us. He’s shown that he has a worker’s mentality, has a growth mindset. When his time comes, I think he’ll be prepared for it you know, and that could be relatively soon we’ll see.”

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 3:23 PM, cartm25 said:

And as you said, DL is "tight lipped" on this stuff.

He shuts down James Crepea every time he asks about who the starting QB is, haha.

I was a bit stunned today when he didn't shut down the question (maybe because it came from someone other than Crepea) and even said Connerly might be playing sooner than later.

I like that he did say it. It shows the Staff is open to young guys developing and passing up the Vets. That's good for recruiting and good for the young guys to keep pushing to get better. 

It also makes me think they have a bar Bo will have to meet if he is QB1 or we could see one of the young QBs

But mostly I'm just grinning knowing we got an elite young OL guy coming on. Wouldn't it be something if he started right out of the gate like Sewell did?

• Thumbs Up 2

Probably a young man who we have for 3 years to play football before goes pro. If he is that good, play him for 3 years.

Agreee, it also doesn't hurt showing you talented kids they can play early if they put in the work at Oregon.

Oregon could really use good tackle play. It is encouraging to hear JC jr getting a big shout out by the HC. I have no idea if he is Sewell good but this is a great development. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 4:28 PM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon could really use good tackle play. It is encouraging to hear JC jr getting a big shout out by the HC. I have no idea if he is Sewell good but this is a great development. 

Penei was a good 30lbs bigger, I think he was 330 as a Frosh. Plus, Penei had a mean streak as a true frosh, I don't know if Conerly Jr is the same.

Penei was a super high four star and JC Jr is 5-star on Rivals and 247.

JC Jr is a 1st round dude for sure at left tackle, with how athletic he is and the feet he has. He could be better than Penei in the long run, but he is a legit dude right now. 

What I can say is none of the Ducks OL has the feet and balance JC Jr does right now, he is a freak in that regard. I bet if KT was still a Duck he'd be shaking his head thinking a person shouldn't be so big and yet have great feet. One of the 247 scouts said he has "magical feet". 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 3:23 PM, cartm25 said:

And as you said, DL is "tight lipped" on this stuff.

He shuts down James Crepea every time he asks about who the starting QB is, haha.

I was a bit stunned today when he didn't shut down the question (maybe because it came from someone other than Crepea) and even said Connerly might be playing sooner than later.

He sure shut Crepea down today and I'm there for it!

• Thumbs Up 1