Mic

Predicting Oregon: Is Russo Crazy? !!

Imagine the surprise.  Sipping coffee,  catching up on the morning news, reading Russo's latest article "Will the Oregon Ducks Return to the College Playoffs" where he takes his stab at this seasons predictions.  (Why not? Everyone else seems to be doing it.)  I find this:

(spoiler alert!)

"Russo believes the Ducks finish the season as the fourth-best t"eam in the country behind Clemson (#3), Ohio State (#2) and Alabama (#1). This would hypothetically create a Peach Bowl matchup of Oregon vs. Alabama".

I've coffee all over my shirt.  So, how's this for gist with the morning bagel, guys?  What's that tell you about Saturday's matchup with the Bulldogs?

• Thumbs Up 1

How about a link?

Mr. FishDuck

I just fell out of my recliner.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

This was posted on the FishDuck Feed a couple of days ago. You must read to the end of the article to see where the Ducks will be playing!

APNEWS.COM

Sometimes a prediction can feel right even though it ends up wrong. And vice versa. Last season, this column projected both...

On 8/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

How about a link?

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The 2022 college football season is upon us, with the Week 0 slate starting on Saturday and headlined by an international matchup between Northwestern and Nebraska in Ireland.  While Oregon...

Sorry, should have included the link, but it's just above this posting.  I'm still wiping coffee off my shirt.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:43 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

This was posted on the FishDuck Feed a couple of days ago. You must read to the end of the article to see where Russo has the Ducks playing!

APNEWS.COM

Sometimes a prediction can feel right even though it ends up wrong. And vice versa. Last season, this column projected both...

This must be where Phil Russo got his material.  I can't believe it.  Talk about putting pressure on Dan Lanning & staff to perform, let alone the young men they're training!  All's fun, I guess.  If I were Georgia this'd motivate the beegeezus out me.  As if they need any motivation.

WWW.DAWGNATION.COM

ATHENS — Kirby Smart said it has been a good fall camp for his Georgia Bulldogs, but that doesn’t mean he will be comfortable entering the Oregon game.

That's a bold prediction for sure.  Georgia still has the the inside track in my opinion, they simply get to play less perfect to beat Oregon.  However as the article above indicates Oregon can beat Georgia and early games get wacky.

I hold to my game prediction, close going in for the half.  If DL makes the counter adjustments and plays aggressive on both sides of the ball that keeps Bo in a rythm and Oregon wins the game. 

On 8/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I hold to my game prediction, close going in for the half.  If DL makes the counter adjustments and plays aggressive on both sides of the ball that keeps Bo in a rythm and Oregon wins the game. 

I'm happy others with more football smarts than me think Oregon has a chance, let alone win the game.  I'm thinking of just covering the spread (17+) at this point.  I had no idea some think Oregon would actually upset Georgia.  I guess it's a possibility.  A nice one...

Isn't that just coach speak? I remember Rich Brooks always talking up his opponent. Makes it easier to face the media when the final score is close.

For us to be in playoff we have to beat Utah twice, and play a decent game against Georgia.   We must look like we BELONG on the same field as the Dawg's.    And Utah must beat Florida so they are top 5 when we play them.  So to reach the National Championship game We have to play tough against number 3 Georgia.  Beat number 5 Utah twice, once on the road.  And then beat #1 Alabama on the road.  I honestly don't see a problem here.

Edited by Pac10again
  • Haha 3

On 8/27/2022 at 12:07 PM, Pac10again said:

I honestly don't see a problem here.

There's also USC to beat.  I don't have any idea how Phil Russo does up with this other than agreeing with the material form the article posted by Pennsylvania Duck above.  Imo, this is a highly unlikely scenario and places a heavy burden on the whole team - setting up the potential for a lot of disappointment.

So why publish it?  To get attention to the column, perhaps.  Why do I call attention to it?  To illustrate the absurdity of collegiate football predictions.  When has the actual final outcome of a college football season ended up the way pre-season predictions have ever gone?  I can't think of any myself.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:07 PM, Pac10again said:

For us to be in playoff we have to beat Utah twice, and play a decent game against Georgia.   We must look like we BELONG on the same field as the Dawg's.    And Utah must beat Florida so they are top 5 when we play them.  So to reach the National Championship game We have to play tough against number 3 Georgia.  Beat number 5 Utah twice, once on the road.  And then beat #1 Alabama on the road.  I honestly don't see a problem here.

Bryce Young is the real deal IMHO and Bama' is going to be playing hopping mad this year! 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:59 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Bryce Young is the real deal IMHO and Bama' is going to be playing hopping mad this year! 

I look for Alabama to field one of their best teams ever.  They were in a rebuilding year last year.  Imagine having that much youth, and still curb stomping Georgia last year two weeks before NC game.  Bama lost both deep threat receivers before NC game, or they would have done it twice.

I've expected the Ducks to have a pretty good shot at making it to the National Championship ever since I was a Freshman at UO in 1998. Of course there have been some off years here or there, but I generally think Oregon should be favored in every single Pac game, every single year. If your lone loss is to Georgia in Atlanta, or an LSU in Dallas- I think that's good enough to make the Playoffs. Expecting less is not something I find acceptable! That said, I usually don't think we deserve the National Championship more than once or twice per decade- I just think we can get there with proper execution. 

We aren't the Washington Huskies. We have prestige!

On 8/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Mic said:

To illustrate the absurdity of collegiate football predictions

I remember listening to an interview with an "expert" on the radio a while back. the host introduced him by saying that over the last 5 years he had correctly predicted at least 3 of the Final Four teams! My Aunt Gertrude also did that. He came on and went through the analysis he had come up with and after10 minutes it was reduced to that the teams with the most talent and best coaches have the highest probability of winning!