Coach Eric Boles

UNLV Offense Looking Sweet Under Arroyo

Anyone see any of the UNLV game last night? That offense is looking sweet under the guidance of Marcus Arroyo. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Between that, Herbert and ABs pro performance, and the current Ducks O expected rise, everything I thought I knew has been completely upended!

I WATCHED every Mari led Duck game, even the abysmal 7-6(?) Redbox Bowl.

My lying eyes told me those players and coaches couldn't score 30 points and that some of them were bums! 

My lying eyes...

Good luck Miami, you're going to need it 

• Go Ducks! 1

Didn’t see the game, but UNLV definitely has the nicest stadium in the  Mountain West conference. Allegiant Stadium is very nice.

BTW…Elton John has the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour (final tour) there on November 1st. One of my favorite albums.

Hard to say -they played Idaho St.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/28/2022 at 1:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Hard to say -they played Idaho St.

I’ll agree that it won’t be their biggest test, but beyond their opponent, you can see their improvement. 

On 8/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I’ll agree that it won’t be their biggest test, but beyond their opponent, you can see their improvement. 

To be honest I sometimes forget that UNLV has a football team--I think of them as a basketball school. Although I do root for Nevada--up in Reno

On 8/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

To be honest I sometimes forget that UNLV has a football team--I think of them as a basketball school. Although I do root for Nevada--up in Reno

We won't be forgetting them for much longer.  UNLV is a program on the move up.  After USC & Ucla leave the Pac, the Pac could do worse than consider UNLV as one of the schools for admission - that is, if they'd want admission.

• Wow 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:17 AM, Drake said:

BTW…Elton John has the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour (final tour) there on November 1st. One of my favorite albums.

Off topic, but when I was in 8th grade (Valdez, AK), my reading comprehension was college level and above. Due to the influx of kids coming in with their parents (construction workers building the Alyeska Pipeline), they didn't know what to do with me.  So they put me in special ed. Special ed was conducted in an old mobile home with very homey furnishings, recliners and such.  It was a tough life - lounging in a recliner reading novels. 

Anyway, there was an old record player, and the teacher was a huge Elton John fan.  We listened (while we were reading of course), to the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album every day.  Not a bad way to pass an afternoon... LOL!!  I still enjoy reading and listening to music at the same time. 

Thanks for prompting an excellent memory!

Edited by olcodgerduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, Mic said:

We won't be forgetting them for much longer.  UNLV is a program on the move up.  After USC & Ucla leave the Pac, the Pac could do worse than consider UNLV as one of the schools for admission - that is, if they'd want admission.

They probably wouldn't want admission after Or-Wash and both Cal and Stanford leave.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:24 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

They probably wouldn't want admission after Or-Wash and both Cal and Stanford leave.

None of those other teams have left yet.  I'm hoping saner minds will prevail.  I find it hard to believe Phil Knight would be in favor of Oregon joining a leave of 20 teams based predominately in the Mid-West portion of the country.  He's been working so hard for 40 years to build a Sports Empire out here on the West Coast.

On 8/28/2022 at 1:30 PM, Mic said:

None of those other teams have left yet.  I'm hoping saner minds will prevail.  I find it hard to believe Phil Knight would be in favor of Oregon joining a leave of 20 teams based predominately in the Mid-West portion of the country.  He's been working so hard for 40 years to build a Sports Empire out here on the West Coast.

Apparently Phil has been in touch with the B1G-some say its just a matter of time.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I see them winning maybe 2 games beyond this point. Maybe Im wrong.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:30 PM, Mic said:

I’m with you. UNLV is in the fastest growing sports city in the nation, and they’re an improving program. 

And I do believe that Phil Knight has looked into options in case the Pac doesn’t work out. But we’ve heard he’s reached out to the SEC too. 

One of the reasons that I personally feel like it won’t is ESPN. They do not want another premier program to fall to a conference that they don’t get anything out of and I think they’re going to work to make sure it doesn’t happen. 

Burke Magnus, President, Programming and Original Content for ESPN, said the deal they’re working on with the Pac has a mechanism for expansion too.

Edited by Coach Eric Boles

On 8/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I see them winning maybe 2 games beyond this point. Maybe Im wrong.

I’ll take that bet! Lol

On 8/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I’ll take that bet! Lol

I'd be inclined to take that bet as well.  I can see UNLV winning at least 6 games, certainly not just 2. This program is on the definite up-swing.

• Like 1

Arroyo had to get out from under the oppression too, prove he can run an offense if Mari and the pistol plunge weren't handcuffing him.  Be interesting to see if that hyped MiamiU QB has a noticeable downturn this year.  Canes, 7-5.  

On 8/28/2022 at 11:37 PM, JDuck said:

Arroyo had to get out from under the oppression too, prove he can run an offense if Mari and the pistol plunge weren't handcuffing him.  

The Pistol was Arroyo's idea. It's sort of his thing. Arroyo's had 2 years at UNLV and he's won what, 3 games? As far as I know, this is the first time he's run any plays at UNLV not out of the pistol.