Duck 1972

Secrecy of Head Coaches

I been noticing quite a lot of new and even established HC not letting on who their starters are for the first game.

I also read Kirby Smart's presser and you can see where DL gets his style from.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our own (once) Chip Kelly was oft criticized for his non-disclosure of just about everything.  Seems his style has caught on near everywhere.

• Go Ducks! 1

From the FishDuck Feed, Kirby's comments...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon hasn’t announced a starting QB yet, but Georgia HC Kirby Smart says he knows who it will be when Saturday’s game kicks...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Georgia is preparing for the Ducks to start Bo Nix, a three-year starter at Auburn, when the teams kick off the season at...

Sorry, no hyperlink for this. Click on URL to see article.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/partners/article265055774.html

• Thanks 2

I wouldn't think he is fretting.  He knows Bo and he knows that behind Bo there's two underclassmen w/o much real-game experience.  On the other hand, he's loaded with experienced talent - esp at QB.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Kirby plays it really close to the vest on just about everything. 

For those in the medical field there's a Minimum Necessary Standard as a part of HIPAA, which basically dictates the information shared must be at the minimum necessary to complete the task at hand.  That's also how Kirby runs his team's relationship with the media, and I expect CDL will follow suit with his mentor's practices in that regard.  

Edited by JunkyardDawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kirby keeps everything he can as secretive as possible. Seems excessive at times, but who am I to second guess especially after last year. If Lanning adopts that style you will not be getting much info before the season kicks. He also doesn't allow coaches to talk to the media during the season, and doesn't allow freshman to talk to media at all. It's interesting, but it seems to work.