nw777b

Old Guy - Requesting Fewer Acronyms ASAP Please...

As I get older, I find my brain slowing down.

I'm asking for help by using fewer abbreviations and acronyms in posts.

Trying to read a post without getting slowed down and distracted by abbreviations and acronyms is becoming somewhat frustrating. I have done this thousands of times, too.

While reading, I have to convert the letters to words in my slowing brain and sometimes have to factor in context.

A few examples are:

O = Offense or Oregon?

D = Ducks or defense?

DL = Defensive Line or Dan Lanning?

Bo = Bo or body odor? (trying to keep things light)

I can handle a few in a post but when they are salted and peppered throughout, I am more inclined to check out.

I tried finding the forum writing tips pinned a while back but couldn't so this can be deleted. But I would like a section added to it.

Thanks for reading and for your consideration.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2022 at 7:51 AM, nw777b said:

DL = Defensive Line or Dan Lanning?

I find this one to be the hardest right now. I usually just say Lanning rather than initials because I get confused. 

But sadly it is all about context. 

I find O is 9/10 relating to offense and same with D for defense. 

• Thanks 1

I agree nw777b!

When I was instructing I had a rule. If I ever used an acronym without first identifying its meaning, the class was cut short by 30 minutes.

It's not difficult to write Four Letter Acronym(FLA) before continuing with a missive. After that you can use the acronym by itself in a particular thread.

We are the Forum With Decorum! 👍👍

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 7:51 AM, nw777b said:

As I get older, I find my brain slowing down.

You and me both.

Your suggestions are spot on, and I welcome all such suggestions.  The Pinned Topic about how to post will return every-so-often to remind everyone, and I agree we'll add this, and return it up there later today.  Great idea...

A number of our "rules" are there for the ease of the reader.  For example I have to tell people a hundred times, to please put paragraph spacing after every three long or four short sentences.  Continuous text is very hard to read, and usually people will skip reading those posts.

Ditto for leaving tons of space at the bottom of their post...it makes everyone have to scroll that much more.  I ask them to take ten seconds and tighten them up when writing a post.  There are people who think I am a petty, anal tyrant for insisting they do these things, when it is just courtesy to their fellow OBD members.  I remind them that, "fellow OBD members are being courteous to you--would you return the kindness?"

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck