FishDuck Article

Dawgs Defense Displays What Ducks Want To Be

After his Week 1 loss, Oregon head coach Dan Lanning said, “The Ducks were out coached by Georgia, and the team didn’t play as well as it can.” Fans saw that the Duck defense got used up. But does Lanning have a plan for how to fix the issues that plagued the defense? It’s important to keep perspective that Oregon ...

FISHDUCK.COM

After his Week 1 loss, Oregon head coach Dan Lanning said, "The Ducks were out coached by Georgia, and the team didn't play as well as it...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

It would seem that it’s a great time to have EW coming to town. 

When trying to make improvements specific to technique in any sport, it’s beneficial for learning to practice unfamiliar movements at a slower pace.  Right out of the gate, there was Georgia at warp-speed.  The Ducks, with a full dose of perspective and an additional week of practice, will hopefully show improvements against a manageable foe.

It could have been coach speak, but DL has commented on how encouraged he is that the guys displayed no finger-pointing and have been eager to get back to work.  It’s early in the season, but perhaps we’ll start seeing who does, and who doesn’t, want to play. 

Unwilling tacklers had better start being wary of being replaced.   

On 9/8/2022 at 5:10 AM, FishDuck Article said:

After his Week 1 loss, Oregon head coach Dan Lanning said, “The Ducks were out coached by Georgia, and the team didn’t play as well as it can.” Fans saw that the Duck defense got used up. But does Lanning have a plan for how to fix the issues that plagued the defense? It’s important to keep perspective that Oregon ...

Source

Read the full article here...

Good Article.  I agree, this was a very tough ask so early for the Ducks D.  Yes the UGA D looked very good, but those guys been practicing this defense since day 1 in college, and learning it from veteran players that were all high draft picks.  Also, the Ducks D had to deal with an offense that probably knew their scheme better than they did, or were at least much more comfortable with it.  They have been practicing against it since Day 1 also.  Very tough ask.

Also, as one pointed out before, GA wasn’t miraculously good in Kirby’s first year.  7-5 I think with a Vanderbilt loss.  And GA had tons of talent that year, it just took time for all to adjust.  The next season went much better.

• Applause 1

On 9/8/2022 at 5:40 AM, Jester said:

It would seem that it’s a great time to have EW coming to town. 

When trying to make improvements specific to technique in any sport, it’s beneficial for learning to practice unfamiliar movements at a slower pace.  Right out of the gate, there was Georgia at warp-speed.  The Ducks, with a full dose of perspective and an additional week of practice, will hopefully show improvements against a manageable foe.

It could have been coach speak, but DL has commented on how encouraged he is that the guys displayed no finger-pointing and have been eager to get back to work.  It’s early in the season, but perhaps we’ll start seeing who does, and who doesn’t, want to play. 

Unwilling tacklers had better start being wary of being replaced.   

Lanning just talked after practice yesterday that the Defense wasn't as good as it needed to be yesterday in practice. They did red zone, situational awareness, tackling and 3rd down work with the defense.

I's sure Lanning won't be telling them they improved enough anytime soon as he won't want any let up on the working to improve.

We know what to watch with the defense this week for improvement folks. 

Lanning also mentioned that he was not pleased with how they practiced yesterday, and that if particular players didn't get the job done, they would find players who would. Not sure, but it sounded like he was referring to the guys who are supposed to make tackles on the perimeter. Loved his passion & perspective.

Edited by John Charles

On 9/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I's sure Lanning won't be telling them they improved enough anytime soon as he won't want any let up on the working to improve.

We know what to watch with the defense this week for improvement folks. 

The Ducks got beat down last week. The good thing is they now know first hand what their D needs to look like. Georgia's D played exactly like Lupoi said he wanted Oregon's D to look like. Of course, it will take a while, and Oregon doesn't yet have the players to look like Georgia, but if Oregon uses last weekend as a teaching moment, it should be very beneficial. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:52 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning just talked after practice yesterday that the Defense wasn't as good as it needed to be yesterday in practice.

DazeNconfused, I just watched the interview you were referring to.

You get a sense that, unlike many of us, DL was glad to get the GA match-up early in the season.  I think he wanted to establish a baseline based on high level competition.

You can hear a little bit of Papa Bear starting to growl, and it’s a good thing.  I think Dan & Co. are going to be after these guys to want to learn what it takes to be a winner.

Who knows, later this year we may (I hope) be saying that butt kicking in week one may have been what the Dr. ordered for this particular group.    

Great article by DZC, and I do appreciate it!

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, Jester said:

DazeNconfused, I just watched the interview you were referring to.

You get a sense that, unlike many of us, DL was glad to get the GA match-up early in the season.  I think he wanted to establish a baseline based on high level competition.

You can hear a little bit of Papa Bear starting to growl, and it’s a good thing.  I think Dan & Co. are going to be after these guys to want to learn what it takes to be a winner.

Who knows, later this year we may (I hope) be saying that butt kicking in week one may have been what the Dr. ordered for this particular group.    

Good point!

Lanning is the position he can push these players all year while telling them they have a way to go as a team and individuals.

If you want to go to the NFL and Lanning says you got work to do still, you're going to listen. Same with the team, they are a good team when Lanning tells them they are... keep working the process

"Work in the film room should educate the players"

This is why you don't burn the film.  This should be mandatory watching every week along with the most recent tapes.

That way they will remember their poop does stink.

• Haha 1