The Kamikaze Kid

A Conference Realignment Question for BYU Fans

I am curious about the state of mind of BYU fans have towards joining the Big 12. If the Pac 12 invited BYU to join and a yearly rivalry game with Utah could be had, would they prefer that? Do they enjoy conference independence and are disappointed about joining any conference?

I'd really like to hear the thoughts of BYU fans on this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

For most BYU fans, the PAC was the dream. It was the girl you always wanted. She would flirt with you, date you but really just kept you in the friend corner. This goes all the way back to the 70's when the Arizona schools left the WAC.

Today, the PAC still makes so much sense for BYU. It's fan base is largely concentrated in PAC markets, and BYU's brand, academics and facilities are all worthy of PAC inclusion.

But to continue with analogy above, BYU has been largely rejected by the PAC. We now have a conference that absolutely wants us and culturally they are probably a better fit than the PAC. So just like the girl we always wanted, once we finally found someone that really wants us, the appeal of the old girl is fading quickly.

This is also compounded by the current instability in college football and the PAC. As a BYU fan that lives in Oregon and follows the Ducks as my #2 team, I would still love to see the Cougs in the same conference as the Ducks. But it does feel like the PAC ship has sailed for BYU. 

Edited by Smith72
Spacing
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Great take SnickSnack. Long term, I’m seeing the Big Twelve as the odd conference out. Geographically, they are primed for easy pickings by The BIG and the SEC for the remaining upper tier teams. 

The Utah BYU rivalry would be an awesome addition. Throw in a Texas team or two (Texas Tech, Baylor, or Houston) and San Diego St and Fresno St and all of a sudden, you have a pretty solid conference.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I am curious about the state of mind of BYU fans have towards joining the Big 12. If the Pac 12 invited BYU to join and a yearly rivalry game with Utah could be had, would they prefer that? Do they enjoy conference independence and are disappointed about joining any conference?

I'd really like to hear the thoughts of BYU fans on this.

To be honest, we are very excited to be joining the Big 12, though geographically we fit in better with the Pac 12.  We feel it will be a better fit for us then the Pac 12.  Independence was a fun experiment and its neat that our last season of independence is also has our best schedule but we are excited about moving on to a P5 conference after decades of waiting. 

Edited by BYUTexan
  • Thumbs Up 1

I always thought BYU would have been a great addition to the Pac-12.  They have always been good in athletics, great fanbase and ranked 21st in academics amongst all universities nationwide.  Their football stadium seats, I believe, around 65,000.

It would have been an instant rivalry in the Pac-12 had BYU been invited at the same time when Utah was brought in.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally I’d like to see both BYU, and Boise State come on board. Then we could beat the Coug’s twice in years when we play BYU, and Washington State. We’d also have an opportunity to watch Oregon vs Boise State in the LeGarrette Blount Memorial Punch Bowl. (Forgive me) 😁

Edited by LuckeyDuck
  • Haha 2