Charles Fischer

BYU Coach Kalani Sitake Discusses Oregon's Run Defense and Talent

The quotes from the two head coaches come from Oregon's Press Release sent to credentialed media such as FishDuck, and thus I thought I would pass it along as it will save you a ton of reading elsewhere.

On inability to establish the run game…

“That was a concern for me; you mentioned it. I do not know what the issue is. We will have to keep watching film. We thought that defensive front from Baylor did a good job, and we thought we could find some spots against Oregon. Obviously, they did a good job shutting down the run, so it made us one-dimensional and put us in some tough situations on third down, even on fourth down. 

We could not even capitalize and make those plays. I think at the beginning, we could not punch it in, we could not finish drives, and we will get that fixed. At the end of the game, we were just trying to get the train back on the tracks, you know, and try and do whatever we can to get some positivity from this and show we are capable of doing things differently. We are going to have to look at this entire game and get better from it. There is no running from it.”

On the talent discrepancy impact on the loss…
“They have great talent. I think we have talent as well, but talent does no good if you make mistakes. And I say that we made mistakes, but it is also coaching. Overall, we did not do a good enough job winning that game. That is from the players to the coaching and everyone involved, including myself as a head coach. We did not seem like we were ready to go from the get-go, and that is something I have to evaluate and something I have to improve on. I have to do a better job; I have to as a head coach.”

Mr. FishDuck

I feel this is one of the first games in a long time where we saw our talent advantage really take hold of the game. 

I don't count FCS teams and I don't count games against the likes of Ohio State where they actually have more talent than us. 

Today our Oregon Ducks played to their talent level and not down to the talent level fo BYU. 

• Great post! 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:54 PM, David Marsh said:

I feel this is one of the first games in a long time where we saw our talent advantage really take hold of the game. 

I don't count FCS teams and I don't count games against the likes of Ohio State where they actually have more talent than us. 

Today our Oregon Ducks played to their talent level and not down to the talent level fo BYU. 

I wish they had played”up” to the level of Georgia.   Of course “that ship has sailed”…..and it was great to see a complete game….with competent tackling…..vs. the No. 12 team in the country!

On 9/17/2022 at 9:14 PM, Duckdude said:

I wish they had played”up” to the level of Georgia.   Of course “that ship has sailed”…..and it was great to see a complete game….with competent tackling…..vs. the No. 12 team in the country!

Getting their butts kicked has resulted in them buying into the Ducks program under Lanning. 

And they have grown so much in the past two games. 

I would have loved Oregon to have been competitive in that game but that game will help build the Oregon culture for years to come in a positive way. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:18 PM, David Marsh said:

Getting their butts kicked has resulted in them buying into the Ducks program under Lanning. 

And they have grown so much in the past two games. 

I would have loved Oregon to have been competitive in that game but that game will help build the Oregon culture for years to come in a positive way. 

First game out, players got to see first hand what Lanning intends to turn Oregon into.  Next few years is going to be fun. 

The team growth, week to week, has been huge. super encouraging after week one. Last two games about 17 ppg surrender by the defense. Let's make that trend.

• Thumbs Up 2