Jump to content
FishDuck Article

The Oregon-Dillingham Offense: The New Arc Zone Read

Recommended Posts

After three weeks of college football, the Oregon Ducks offense has emphatically declared its identity. They are a physical unit based around the run game, that is also going to stretch defenses both horizontally and vertically through the air; they’re going to attack. One of the run concepts that these Ducks have used to set a tone the last couple ...

 
FISHDUCK.COM

After three weeks of college football, the Oregon Ducks offense has emphatically declared its identity. They are a physical unit based around...
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Coach Boles!  Good analysis and teaching.

 

"The Arc Zone Read is a concept that has the ability to lend itself to a variety of wrinkles."

 

And Coach Dillingham is showing a delightful ability to add spice to the Oregon offense.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice coach. There is a lot of room out there for Nix by Bass for sure

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love these postings that help us to understand the nuances of on-field play. The fans really benefit by these.

 

I remember fans screaming about video postings like this during the Chip Kelly years worried that Oregon's opponents would "learn how to defeat us" by watching them.  I also remember very few teams actually being able to stop that offense, videos or not.

 

It's not like other college teams don't have their own analyzers for more astute than fans. They don't need these to know what the heck is going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Boles...this will be great fun to watch for, because when the QB pulls the ball--he will have a better chance of making yardage on the perimeter, the backside of the defense.  Perfect for Bo Nix!  Thanks Coach.

 

Bo Nix by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 11:48 AM, Mic said:

I remember fans screaming about video postings like this during the Chip Kelly years worried that Oregon's opponents would "learn how to defeat us" by watching them.

Yep.  I got a lot of that when I made my videos of the Chip Kelly offense, in fact I heard about it nearly every day for a year when I put them out.  Those questioning my loyalty for "giving away Oregon's secrets" really tested my tolerance for my fellow fans.  The way I answered is true now as it was then, and it takes all of 15 seconds of thought....

 

"Let's get this right; the opposing coaches all have film of Oregon's games and they know what we are doing. All the FishDuck videos come from public sources that everybody has access to...and obviously our own coaches know what they are doing.

 

So the only people who don't know what's going on are the people actually paying the freight for the players and the coaches...the fans?"

 

We try to change that at FishDuck for the fans, since all the coaches know what is going on.  (Trust me, we will not be teaching college coaches anything!)

 

               Mr. FishDuck and Abbie in the Outside Zone Read Video

OZR 2011_FishDuck YouTube.jpg

  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 6:26 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Nice coach. There is a lot of room out there for Nix by Bass for sure

Watching this video (and the RB getting 6 yards)  looked to me like BYU wasn't so much out of position as they were throughly out-matched by Oregon's line.  

 

One could argue Nix should have kept the ball and ran for 10+ yards but it's hard to complain when the effort by the O-line was so dominate. Nothing wrong with 6 yards on a running play when you run right down the throat of the defense.  It's demoralizing.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the screenshot below, you can see that at the instant of decision in the mesh, (light blue circle) the "read-key" defender is sitting, (red arrow) and thus the correct call is to hand off, as Coach Boles referred to.  Perhaps if it is second and two--you could pull and see what happens.  The TD in the picture in my post above--I thought Nix got a "give" read, but pulled it anyway.

 

Interesting stuff!

 

Mesh Point.jpg

  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a perfect screen shot of what you are telling us.

 

It looks to me like the 'read-key' defender is covered by a lineman, the outside defender by the TE.  But the 2 inside LB's are not accounted for, save by the RB (if Nix keeps the ball).

 

If BYU is able to set the edge (forcing Nix to turn inside the TE) he runs into the teeth of the two inside LB's with just one blocker (the RB)?  

 

So, the correct play is to give the ball off to the RB and hope by sliding off the RG he squeezes out positive yardage; in this case, the 6 yards?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 3:17 PM, Mic said:

Watching this video (and the RB getting 6 yards)  looked to me like BYU wasn't so much out of position as they were throughly out-matched by Oregon's line.  

 

One could argue Nix should have kept the ball and ran for 10+ yards but it's hard to complain when the effort by the O-line was so dominate. Nothing wrong with 6 yards on a running play when you run right down the throat of the defense.  It's demoralizing.

I get what you mean, and it does look like he could have got the yardage by pulling, but he made the right read. The goal of these zone reads and RPOs is to make a defender wrong. We don’t really want to make them right and then just try to out-athlete them.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, Mic said:

I love these postings that help us to understand the nuances of on-field play. The fans really benefit by these.

 

I remember fans screaming about video postings like this during the Chip Kelly years worried that Oregon's opponents would "learn how to defeat us" by watching them.  I also remember very few teams actually being able to stop that offense, videos or not.

 

It's not like other college teams don't have their own analyzers for more astute than fans. They don't need these to know what the heck is going on.

Haha if I know what the Ducks are running, so do opposing defensive coaches. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top