DazeNconfused

Stanford's Upgraded Offense: 'The Slow Mesh RPO' ?

Stanford has come out of the Dark Ages and ditched its Power Run play action offense this season. They have turned to the Wake Forest "Slow Mesh RPO"

Below are links for two short videos. The first is a just over 2 minutes of the Vanderbilt head coach explaining what the "Slow Mesh" is, and what it aims to achieve in attacking the defense. This video will educate you quickly and hits KEY points.

The second video is a under 1 minute collection of Wake Forest running some "Slow Mesh" plays.

I would suggest watching both sort videos so you can understand the challenge this "Slow Mesh" will give the Ducks defense, and you will have an idea of what 'Slow Mesh" looks like ahead of the game this Saturday. 

WWW.TENNESSEAN.COM

Vanderbilt football coach Clark Lea explains Wake Forest's

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2

On 9/28/2022 at 8:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Stanford has come out of the Dark Ages and ditched its Power Run play action offense this season. They have turned to the Wake Forest "Slow Mesh RPO"

Below are links for two short videos. The first is a just over 2 minutes of the Vanderbilt head coach explaining what the "Slow Mesh" is, and what it aims to achieve in attacking the defense. This video will educate you quickly and hits KEY points.

The second video is a under 1 minute collection of Wake Forest running some "Slow Mesh" plays.

I would suggest watching both sort videos so you can understand the challenge this "Slow Mesh" will give the Ducks defense, and you will have an idea of what 'Slow Mesh" looks like ahead of the game this Saturday. 

I watched an even better video showing more examples of the QB & RB 'meshing together' for several seconds before the handoff allowing the RB to "wait and see" where the opening(s) are in the line.  It was working with alarming frequency.  The answer to this, imo, is a solid pass rush with the LB's filling the gaps.

The problem for Oregon is that they haven't had a solid pass rush like they've needed.  Not without the LB's rushing and thereby finding themselves possibly out of position.  Maybe a guy like Dan Lanning can figure it out.  He & Lupoi together.

Great post. It will be interesting to see how Lanning schemes for this. This is something we haven't seen yet. 

Post a link to the video if you would. I kept the videos short in the OP as to give readers a quick look and not drag their time out.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Post a link to the video if you would. I kept the videos short in the OP as to give readers a quick look and not drag their time out.

I know you aren't asking me but I will tell you that I saw a longer, more extensive video (concentrating on the extreme effectiveness on Wake's running game) on some sports program recently, highlighting Wake's wins so far.  I wish I had the link for you but I can tell you that Defensive Coordinators all across the country are gaining a vivid awareness of it right now as we converse.

I don't think it's entirely new ... just new to these times, with certain interesting wrinkles.  

God bless Wake Forest for it!  It's why watching collegiate football is so darned fun and exciting.  The NFL has been the same-old-same-old for so many years (just a matter of putting the right puzzle pieces together, ie players) that it's gotten boring for me.  Collegiate football is where the real experimentation takes place and if it works, the Pros figure out how to make it work in their league.

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the WF v. Clem game this weekend. First time I had seen that offense and found it fun, interesting and very effective. 

It will take a lot of discipline for guys to stay in their lane defending it. I would put  a LB on the back exclusively. Change it up from play to play but always have a guy assigned. 

Secondary has to play well. Passing game is Tree's strength. Gotta take a step up with Furds big receivers. I think Bridges has his best game of the season.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

Secondary has to play well. Passing game is Tree's strength.

I just think it's completely unfair for Stanford to evolve like this. It was bad enough when they came out with RB's running behind a huge line, they'd throw the ball to TE's and have giraffes for fade routes in the red zone. Now they actually have a passing game that will require the Ducks' secondary to cover the entire field for the whole game?

On 9/28/2022 at 4:03 PM, 30Duck said:

I just think it's completely unfair for Stanford to evolve like this. It was bad enough when they came out with RB's running behind a huge line, they'd throw the ball to TE's and have giraffes for fade routes in the red zone. Now they actually have a passing game that will require the Ducks' secondary to cover the entire field for the whole game?

Don't fret, I think its their only strength. 

Tree's pass protection hasn't been great, and two tackles are questionable for this game.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:08 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Tree's pass protection hasn't been great, and two tackles are questionable for this game.

KPNW reported this morning that both starting tackles are out for the game, as is their best RB (Emmett Smith's son).  If the Ducks can't get more sacks against Stanford than they did against WSU I will be quite surprised and disappointed.  They (S) are gonna have to pass a lot to keep up with Oregon.

Edited by Mic