Smith72

Duck Defensive Backs Proved Up to the Challenge

Oregon's DB's have made steady progress thru 6 games.

247SPORTS.COM

Duck defensive backs proved up for the challenge in Tucson

Still not sold on Trikweze at the 2nd corner, but it seems Manning is turning the corner, and now Jahlil is proving to be a beast.  Maybe next year Manning & Jahlil will be lockdown CBs.  One can only hope.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

Still not sold on Trikweze at the 2nd corner, but it seems Manning is turning the corner, and now Jahlil is proving to be a beast.  Maybe next year Manning & Jahlil will be lockdown CBs.  One can only hope.

I think the bigger concern right now is actually the linebacker position. Bridges is developing pretty quick and actually has a team high of 2 interceptions on the year. I think Manning and Florence are both developing quite nicely as well. 

But the linebacker position is missing tackles and getting caught out in coverage right now. They are the soft underbelly of the defense. They are making improvements but they are not there yet. Those two big runs by Arizona, one of which was a score, was a result of the linebackers being out of position. Flowe was also caught out of position at the start of a third down and Arizona managed to convert in part because of that... even though he did chase de Laura out of the pocket which is something scary as it is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:07 AM, David Marsh said:

I think the bigger concern right now is actually the linebacker position. 

Ironic, isn't it?  THIS was the position our defense was supposed to be most dominant in and at times they are.  But not consistently.  Chip's offense will know how to attack any perceived weakness anywhere on the field.  We'll see exactly where those weak points are when they play.  

Win or lose, this game will be another important marker for Oregon and another important lesson for the team, just as the Georgia game was.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:07 AM, David Marsh said:

I think the bigger concern right now is actually the linebacker position

Regarding the ILB position, I tend to agree - hopefully in the short term.

Isolating Noah from the action has been a high priority of just about every team we’ve faced. He has probably been zoned more often than any other defender. Without another inside backer who can quickly take advantage of this situation, we’ve been caught out of position more often than not.

Both Bassa and Brown are coming along, and Flowe has all the tools, but injuries have kept him from learning how to put them to good use. If Justin’s injury bug can be put in the rear view mirror, and the others continue to improve, teams may no longer find targeting Noah advantageous, and this weak position could again become a strength.