Duck Fan 76

Interesting Commentary on Oregon and Miami Coaching Grades

On 10/12/2022 at 2:34 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

This analysis underscores how much I have learned by frequenting the Fishduck forum, and reading very thoughtful and well informed articles and comments. The two guys in this video just don't know enough about Lanning and Cristobal, and what they are accomplishing and not accomplishing after six games with new teams, to make informed comments. I think the worst grade I could give Lannng at this point is an A-. 

I would argue heavily for an A, though, because even though the Ducks got blown out by georgia, most of the in this forum understand the context behind that and how much Lanning and staff have been doing week to week to improve their players and their schemes-- which is exactly what good coaches are supposed to do.. Mario? He gets a D. No explanation needed.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll give Dan Lanning an A at the end of the season if Oregon finishes >8-4.  ie: 9-3+

A+                                           if Oregon finishes  10-2 or 11-1

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is an interesting take and very accurate. MC’s grade is a solid D. App State scored 40 points in the 4th quarter on Carolina and Miami could only muster 24 at home. Let’s not forget that App State is a 3 loss team. So is MTSU for that matter. He’s borderline F material.

I agree with a B+ so far for DL. Only because Oregon hasn’t played and beaten anybody who is currently ranked. BYU and WSU were OK, but both have a couple of losses.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

One huge difference between Venables and Cristobal, having awful first seasons at OU and Miami: Venables was never a head coach. Cristobal? Far less of an excuse. @Ducks_Wire

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 10/12/2022 at 5:22 PM, Mic said:

I'll give Dan Lanning an A at the end of the season if Oregon finishes >8-4.  ie: 9-3+

A+                                           if Oregon finishes  10-2 or 11-1

I agree with that.  Based solely off what we can observe for a first time HC Dan Lanning is doing extremely well.  Looking at the remainder of the schedule from the preseason analysis the even money was a loss at Utah and a loss to UCLA.  That would land us at 9-3 and no PAC12 championship. 

From where we do that analysis today, there's a pretty decent chance we beat UCLA.  That would likely mean a 10-2 season or better.  He legitimately has Oregon performing much better than expected even accounting for the Georgia loss.  

I personally think there's better than even odds that Oregon goes 11-1 and also wins the PAC12 championship.  I base that assessment purely off the trajectory of Oregon's play.  They aren't just pretty good right now, they are getting measurably better each week.  If he can hold that trend then the Oregon team that gets into the PAC12 championship will be very very tough to beat.

Even if Oregon hits a ceiling or regresses for a game then that's still a great achievement for the staff and players.  Very bad things could obviously happen, but we don't name those things lest we tempt the fates...

• Thumbs Up 2

What I like is the week to week improvement, new coaches and schemes don't happen overnight.  The O is a breath of fresh air.  D improving.  Recruiting will end up better than Mari-(n)o.  Player development is huge...was as  absent as the O under Mari.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:54 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

This is an interesting take and very accurate. MC’s grade is a solid D. App State scored 40 points in the 4th quarter on Carolina and Miami could only muster 24 at home. Let’s not forget that App State is a 3 loss team. So is MTSU for that matter. He’s borderline F material.

I agree with a B+ so far for DL. Only because Oregon hasn’t played and beaten anybody who is currently ranked. BYU and WSU were OK, but both have a couple of losses.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

One huge difference between Venables and Cristobal, having awful first seasons at OU and Miami: Venables was never a head coach. Cristobal? Far less of an excuse. @Ducks_Wire

I happened to catch parts of the 3rd & 4th quarters of the Miami/NC game last weekend.  As I was observing Miami's offense, it was like deja vu all over again, except the colors were different. They would get up to the line of scrimmage, get set early in the play clock, and then they would all start looking around like they didn't know what they were doing.

The one play in particular that I recall was in the 4th quarter, Miami was down by 7 pts, and the clock was ticking. Instead of snapping their set play with 25 seconds on the play clock, they were all looking to the sideline to see what Mari-no-O was going to change the play to. Finally, after ticking the play clock down to about 4 seconds, they got reset and snapped for a play that turned out to be embarrassing.

It was not the play above, but pretty similar.  The lost look of the offense, the uncertainty, and finally the incompetence was so familiar that I got a little sick feeling in my stomach remembering so much of the same look with OBD when Mari-no-O was coaching Oregon.  Ticking later into the 4th quarter, down by at least a score, there was no urgency, no feeling of confidence displayed, the whole team - coaches included - were just mailing it in.

Oh yeah, and then it was 4th and 2 (?) and Mari-no-O took a time out because he couldn't decide if he wanted to go for it or kick.  Good grief Charlie Brown...

I have debated with myself all week about even posting these thoughts.  It's not my intention to just bash away at Mari-no-O, but I can't help but feel that we were delivered from the eye of the hurricane in the nick of time, and are so blessed to have received Coach Lanning and staff!

I am super excited for the rest of our season, starting with UCLA next weekend!  Win, lose or draw, our situation has improved by at least 150%, and I can't wait to see the improvement each week as Coach Lanning and staff continue striving for OBD to be the best!

Go Ducks!!

• Whew! 1