NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Plotting on Media Rights and Expansion

Canzano says "It feels like a fork in the road.  I believe Amazon and ESPN are the most likely media partners for the Pac-12, but I'm told there could be a surprise third party.  Apple?"

Canzano finds it's interesting of the timing of media rights deal and UC Regents decision on UCLA.  He is also thinking on a more splashier move in expansion out there.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

What I know and think...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What comes to mind with "splashier" that can also coincide with "making sense for the PAC?" My first thought goes to BYU for "splashy" but not necessarily for "makes sense" because of the religious complications.

Do we go further east into Big 12 territory? Then we get into some of the same travel nightmares that are brought up in regards to USC/UCLA going to the BIG (doesn't make sense).

IMOH there is no NEED for expansion beyond any school not named San Diego State at this point. Any other school would need to be additive financially while also not overly burdensome on the student-athlete. It's a tough line to walk.

Edited by Babyjesus615

These sorts of stories (with Wilner, to me, being the biggest offender) might as well read ‘no news but I gotta get my article quota filled.’

I’ll get interested when there is some hard data.  The one piece of information from the article is it looks as if mid-November is set to be a read out of potential revenue numbers so to try and pry UCLA back from the B1G.

Until then or some other measurable event it’s just breathless reporting on how much the grass grew since yesterday 

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can see how any of us would feel like CalBear95 does. So many words written and no substance. Feels like a waste of time. I dont think this is the case.

The future lifeblood of the PAC 10 is and will be the next media rights deal. There is nothing more important for GK to work on. I wont spell out details because it is very complicated to merger multiple parties. Getting competeing factions to play along with the streaming future. Patience Duck fans.

My son, who runs our company, has been working on a strategic merger with a competitor for most of 2022. They approached us and initial talks were sugar and Spice. As we got down to values, routing, customers and key personnel, it was obvious they needed us not the other way around. From that point on it was final details and then a contract.

Lots of players involved. Each has a goal and set value. Takes time and we got some real clueless presidents with big egos. Goodcthings come to those who wait. At this point GK should have alot to say. But he wont. It may feel empty but it isnt. GO DUCKS.

• Thumbs Up 1

@HappyToBeADuckMy point wasn’t that nothing is happening - assuredly there is - but as @Charles Fischermentioned earlier, the streaming aspects are complicated and take time.  The relatively frequent updates just aren’t all that useful because that time scale is completely out of phase with the cadence of those business conversations. 

That is what I meant by my point about these ‘updates’ being of low value. 

That will change once we have something substantive to react to from those discussions or from others such as those being led by the B12.  

• Thumbs Up 1