Charles Fischer

Kliavkoff Believes Pac-12 Will ‘Catch’ Big Ten, SEC in Media Revenue?

For real? If so...Oregon could have it all?  Staying in the Pac-12, and rolling it in?  And a better shot at the Playoffs?  (A ton of important information here)

WWW.MERCURYNEWS.COM

The Pac-12 commissioner made two statements this week that seemingly stretch the imagination, but there’s a logic to his conclusions.

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

My head hurts.

I'm left wondering, more and more as of late, did UCLA just make an incredibly poor decision in jumping from the PAC? Worse yet, did USC do the same? Why didn't USC and UCLA come to the table and ask for a larger slice of the pie if media is such a large factor?

I get it, technically, there is more money in the B1G move. But, it's looking more and more like the disparity isn't nearly as much as the overall impact to the school and, more importantly, the kids. $30 million buys a lot of couch/shrink time for the student athletes. I think both USC and UCLA are crunching the numbers and it's not looking nearly as 'Rose'y as 6-9 months ago. 

What happens if Kliavkoff pulls that rabbit and gives Oregon and Washington 12.5% each? Would have UCLA and USC received the same? A tad bit more? With 12 schools, their pull might have been possibly 9-10% each. 

Those Southern Schools were incredibly short sighted. They, clearly, did not want to hold to tradition. Quite sad how a handful of administrators can affect hundreds, if not thousands, of Student Athletes in such a negative way. What do the SA's get? More? I don't think so.

Just ...... sad.

I just don't get it.  Sans the LA schools, their well know brands, UW and Oregon are going to pull national interest to the degree Ohio State, Michigan AND USC does?  And thus Garner media contracts worth nearly 1Billion dollars a year?

Or let's say, 750 million dollars a year.  This, after ESPN offered far less?  Where is the additional 35 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR going to come from?

Now if we were talking about the turn of the century, when the conference still prioritized football as part of it's academic reputation (and the conference routinely had five schools hovering near the top ten in rankings and ability), this conundrum would be a no brainer. 

But alas, the conference of champions in sports that cannot finance athletic budgets (nor the Academic prowess the conference presidents fancy themselves as), figures they are viable and worthy sports icons. 

Sounds like those participation trophies academia has been passing out the past two decades. In the real world, you EARN your worth.  We will certainly see what the conference has earned in value soon enough. 

Edited by Mike West
  • Like 1

I was listening to Canzano on the radio the other day talking to a former Fox Sports TV contract guy and he said the only way the Pac 12 surpasses the B1G TEN is getting a 2nd contract in before the B1G TEN.  It would only be for 1 year the Pac 12 passes the B1G TEN.  Once the B1G TEN signs their new contract, then the Pac 12 would fall behind again.