NJDuck

Canzano: Bill Walton is not Happy with UCLA

From Canzano:  "Bill Walton sounds off.  He's had awhile to think about UCLA leaving the Pac-12.  He emerged with some strong thoughts on this subject..  Clearly, Bill Walton is not happy about any of it."

Bill Walton written a statement.  Unedited in this article titled "UCLA's WRONG TURN"

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Pac-12 legend sounds off.

• Thumbs Up 2

Somebody should help Bill with punctuation....other than that it is great, and I'm glad for his passion.  For a minute he did not divert into books read, trips taken, or insulting Dave--so that is a good thing too.

Ronnie Lee over Bill Walton  (thanks to 30Duck for the photo!)

Bill Walton: Where do YOU Stand? - Our Beloved Ducks - Our Beloved Ducks  Forum

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bill Walton loves the Pac-12 and the west coast.  Yes his diatribes are sometimes rambling and esoteric, but he is a real gem both athletically and culturally.

I'm not sure his opinion changes anything, but you've got to give him credit for trying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Always loved Mr Walton. Sat in the 5th row when he won his first NBA title. Best sporting event I have ever witnessed. Every game that Blazer team played that year is the way basketball was meant to be played. 

I know a lot of people don’t like him as a color analyst but he makes some of these boring basketball games watchable with his off the wall comments. I guess it shocks me more than anything.

Every thing he says in that article is true and I’m glad he is finally expressing his disgust with his former university.

• Thumbs Up 1

Folks can take issue with Walton and his Greatful Dead, THC fueled, Wavy Gravy, Ken Kesey, Furthur, Merry Pranksters, tie dye bike short wearing, one toke over the line sports commentary, but he was one helluva basketball player. The 1974 Mac Court win over #1 UCLA is famous in large part because Walton was on the floor. He bleeds baby blue and gold.

Even when he was agonally torturing Dave Pasch and English language syntax, he was entertaining. Marginally. His take on UCLA bailing to the B1G, however, is spot on.

Not that he'll be listened to. Kudos to Canzano for tweaking Walton to put his opinion out there for all to see. Love him or hate for his time at the Oregonian, my take is that he is a good sports journalist that puts out interesting content.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Liked it more
  • Thumbs Up 2

Excellent letter by Walton. 

His point about environmental sustainability was new to me and totally spot-on. 

• Thumbs Up 1